Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TRA = Victory

For securing the under seat pouch I slip one of those velcro straps used for wiring just under the set pan. I think it could go between screw, if loosed some before tightening again, if I felt it necessary, but the thing has never wandered. Those longer velcro straps are very strong and handy for many things.

I like the solid color look.

what do you think of the solid seat pan, so far? I've always wondered about doing that.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    what do you think of the solid seat pan, so far? I've always wondered about doing that.
    TBH I haven’t sat on it for a long period of time yet. I think time will tell, gotta take her down a few curbs. I switched to solid mostly because my fabric ones always end up sagging. The cushion I have is so darn thick I doubt I’ll notice much difference in comfort/firmness.

So much stuff to do to adapt to the new box frame. The old underwear bag I used to use won’t work any more because of the extra frame bars underneath so I’ve had to order a new smaller bag. Plus I need to wrap some frame protectors onto the underframe before I hang my key bak key ring on there because it’s probably gonna hang down far enough to scratch the frame.

for my toiletries bag, I’m thinking about mounting it using some neodymium magnets to attach it to the seat pan to keep it up and out of the way, so now I gotta find a new bag to carry as well.

You may want to look into helicopter tape for your frame. Would probably be easier and cleaner looking than paracording your whole frame. A friend of mine wrapped his, there is a video on youtube. You can remove some of those screws from your seat pan if you need to fit your bag strap under it. My carbon seat pan isn't bolted at all, just velcro and it has never moved. Also, if your only swapping one or two spokes out you can probably true it yourself. Just lay your chair on its side so you can spin the wheel freely and tighten/loosen the new spokes until it doesn't wobble (replace/balance one at a time). I swapped all 6 outside spokes on each of my wheels and had to have a bike shop balance it, but if it was just a few it may have been manageable. You can always try yourself first, then take it in. Good looking chair by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    You may want to look into helicopter tape for your frame. Would probably be easier and cleaner looking than paracording your whole frame. A friend of mine wrapped his, there is a video on youtube. You can remove some of those screws from your seat pan if you need to fit your bag strap under it. My carbon seat pan isn't bolted at all, just velcro and it has never moved. Also, if your only swapping one or two spokes out you can probably true it yourself. Just lay your chair on its side so you can spin the wheel freely and tighten/loosen the new spokes until it doesn't wobble (replace/balance one at a time). I swapped all 6 outside spokes on each of my wheels and had to have a bike shop balance it, but if it was just a few it may have been manageable. You can always try yourself first, then take it in. Good looking chair by the way
    Thanks, I haven't heard of helicopter tape before. I just youtubed it, definitely looks easier than my paracord method, but I wonder if the tape wont just end up getting scratched as well. I'm envisioning this chair getting slung across rough concrete by accident several times... it seems unlikely the tape would be up to that job. I'll probably just waste my time and wrap the heck out of it with paracord, then after I get used to the transfers for a couple months and I'm not dropping it often I'll start removing the paracord. I don't mind keeping a bit of paracord wrap on it, especially on the "knee" part of the downtube with this skinny frame, gives my hand more to grab onto when I'm transfering, and plus if I need a couple dozen feet of paracord for some reason I can always quickly whip off the paracord wrap (as if that would ever happen).

That's a good point about the spokes. I might as well give it a shot. Worst case scenario I just do what I was gong to do anyway and take it to a bike shop.

Congrats on the chair. I think the color scheme looks fantastic. I'm doing the insurance/DME thing right now for a new chair ... hope I can land something similar.

Congratulations! It's pretty much what I got through SS after a year and a half of bullshit!

I don't see the FrogsLegs? The casters look like mine which is how I ended up despite ordering and paying up for FrogsLegs which are not available to fit the newer style chassis. I finally, after months of dickering was refunded about $200. I really wanted a ZRA which is basically what my other 2005 chair is but no way would they allow me to order titanium and pay up the difference. Very frustrating! Note: those big tubular caster heads add about an inch of space to what the titanium ZRA has compared to the AeroZ I got.. They dig into the plastic rocker-panel of my GTI and when I transfer, the car comes down hard on it (I'm 200 lbs) and the chair actually sticks when I go to lift it. Over time this has resulted in a hole in the plastic.

I cut off the protruding portion of the axle mounts. More than the slight extra weight, they stick way out and hit my chest when fishing the frame into the car.

For your spokes, you might look into spiral wraps for electronics wiring. Blue and red are probably available, a cheap and quick fix at least for now.

I cut down the original side guards so they are lower than the outside of the tires. They still keep my pants off the tires but now if I come down on something, it's the tire and not the relatively sharp edge of the guards.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 09-19-2019 at 11:48 AM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Congratulations! It's pretty much what I got through SS after a year and a half of bullshit!

I don't see the FrogsLegs? The casters look like mine which is how I ended up despite ordering and paying up for FrogsLegs which are not available to fit the newer style chassis. I finally, after months of dickering was refunded about $200. I really wanted a ZRA which is basically what my other 2005 chair is but no way would they allow me to order titanium and pay up the difference. Very frustrating! Note: those big tubular caster heads add about an inch of space to what the titanium ZRA has compared to the AeroZ I got.. They dig into the plastic rocker-panel of my GTI and when I transfer, the car comes down hard on it (I'm 200 lbs) and the chair actually sticks when I go to lift it. Over time this has resulted in a hole in the plastic.

I cut off the protruding portion of the axle mounts. More than the slight extra weight, they stick way out and hit my chest when fishing the frame into the car.

For your spokes, you might look into spiral wraps for electronics wiring. Blue and red are probably available, a cheap and quick fix at least for now.

I cut down the original side guards so they are lower than the outside of the tires. They still keep my pants off the tires but now if I come down on something, it's the tire and not the relatively sharp edge of the guards.
    What did you use to cut off the protruding portions of the axle mounts? I've got a lot of excess there, and I think it looks bad in addition to getting in the way.

I just ordered a dremel, and I'm gonna use it to chop off part of the caster forks (not sure if that's the right word, but I keep using it), like I was talking about earlier, but I'm not sure which kind of dremel tool will be best for cutting aluminum... or deburring it after I cut it for that matter.

I may have misspoke, they're not frog legs caster forks, just regular ones, but the wide casters.

Blog Entries
    I use 420 cut off wheels for stuff like that. There are also 'deburring'/sanding drums of varying grits and such for cleaning up the edges. Not exactly a pro tool I guess but it does small jobs like this well IMO.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments