Thread: Dr. Wise Young speaks.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dr. Wise Young speaks.

Dr. Wise Young speaks.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

What does the "most intensive walking training program ever" encompass? Besides "six hours a day, six days a week, for six months"?
    Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1 View Post
    What does the "most intensive walking training program ever" encompass? Besides "six hours a day, six days a week, for six months"?
    Good luck trying to get a real answer to that
    First off, these are complete injuries so ( especially early on) the people will need to be 'walked' by multiple therapists / assistants. 6 hours a day of that every day? I have my doubts...

I'm fortunate enough to be able to ambulate. I've been pushing myself incredibly hard for 6 months. I started at .4 mph and now I'm up to 1.3mph. On a treadmill obviously.
    30 minutes and I'm completely spent for the next 4 hours
    If I'm feeling fantastic I can do another 30 minutes at night...

The idea of building that up to 6 hours a day is about as likely as growing wings and flying. Ha.

Oh and another thing... considering people that did not do intensive therapy had no significant results, did the stem cells really do anything? Hmmm

I hope everyone knows that simply growing axons and connecting them to the lower spine won't mean recovery without literally learning to everything all over again as though you were a newborn. The neurons aren't going to attach to the same lower spine neurons they were attached to previously. That means all new signals for the brain to map and understand. Indeed, if "cure" ever comes it will necessarily involve intense training to map the new nerve pathways.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Blog Entries
    That?s great news for you though that you?re ambulatory, it shows great perseverance are you walking on the treadmill

six hours @ + or - $80 per hour = $480 a day, X six days = $2880 a week = $11,520 per month, for six months = $69,120
    alas I am a man of limited means

Quote Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
    six hours @ + or - $80 per hour = $480 a day, X six days = $2880 a week = $11,520 per month, for six months = $69,120
    alas I am a man of limited means
    Well in theory if you are part of the trial, the therapy you should come along with it.

And if you are not part of the trial, at the rate things seem to be progressing, it won't be available for the next 20 or more years anyway

Sorry not usually so pessimistic. I've only been hurt 3 years and I was fortunate to get decent return. I could not imagine the frustration of people with injuries 15 or 20 years ago constantly hoping something would be available in the next '5 years'...

After the surgery and three days in hospital, patient will go home and recover for 2 weeks. Stitches will be removed and they will be cleared for therapy. Therapy begins at week 3, for six weeks at an outpatient rehab center. The goal of the next two weeks is to build up to standing in a standing frame for 5 hours a day. (Outpatient therapy will be 5 hours a day for 5 weeks. It's just not possible for rehab centers to do 6 hours a day, 6 days a week.) After 2 weeks of standing, the goal at the end of the next 4 weeks, is stepping, using an upper-body supporting rolling walker.

After the 6 weeks of outpatient, patient will then attend Push To WalkNJ/Project WalkNJ/ or one of the other places for 4 months. The goal is to eventually work up to walking 5 days a week, 5 hours a day. That's why the walking program is 6 months. It takes a long time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchitsu View Post
    Well in theory if you are part of the trial, the therapy you should come along with it.

And if you are not part of the trial, at the rate things seem to be progressing, it won't be available for the next 20 or more years anyway
    After the patients in the trial are operated on, the therapy will be available for compassionate use.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-06-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    After the patients in the trial are operated on, the therapy will be available for compassionate use.
    Is there a waiting list started for this? I imagine there will be a big queue of people wanting to do it.

Maybe you should start taking deposits, I'd sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    After the surgery and three days in hospital, patient will go home and recover for 2 weeks. Stitches will be removed and they will be cleared for therapy. Therapy begins at week 3, for six weeks at an outpatient rehab center. The goal of the next two weeks is to build up to standing in a standing frame for 5 hours a day. (Outpatient therapy will be 5 hours a day for 5 weeks. It's just not possible for rehab centers to do 6 hours a day, 6 days a week.) After 2 weeks of standing, the goal at the end of the next 4 weeks, is stepping, using an upper-body supporting rolling walker.

After the 6 weeks of outpatient, patient will then attend Push To WalkNJ/Project WalkNJ/ or one of the other places for 4 months. The goal is to eventually work up to walking 5 days a week, 5 hours a day. That's why the walking program is 6 months. It takes a long time to get there.

After the patients in the trial are operated on, the therapy will be available for compassionate use.a
    Why would someone need compassionate use for therapy?
    If you have the resources to pay project walk $3,000/week I'm sure they would be more than happy to take your money for 5 hours a day of training right now.