Thread: Where to meet SCI friends

Where to meet SCI friends

Maybe the wrong place to post though living in upstate NY we have no ScI groups. Everything seems to be downstate. I never really though of a support group until I got involved in a study. We did the study online and at 1st nobody really talked though as time went on I looked forward to talking to the others every week. At the end everyone seemed almost sad because the study was ending. I would love to see a support group in my area though at least maybe a site where people can go online and speak regularly. Any suggestions?

From the United Spinal Association website:
    Group Name: Spinal Cord Injury Network of Central New York
    Local information and resources provided.
    This support group is currently not meeting, but you can contact the group leader for information and resources.

State: New York
    Email: bartoszt@upstate.edu
    Phone: (315) 464-2337

Also, you might contact United Spinal Association and see if they would help you set up a chapter and/or support group in your area. I am sure there are others who are interested, including the local SCI acute rehabilitation centers. Membership is free, and comes with a free subscription to "New Mobility" magazine. https://unitedspinal.org/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

In 1994, a local rehab hospital started SCI support group meetings while I was a patient for a pressure sore. At first there were about 15-20 members and we met once a month but by the same time one year later I was the only one who showed up. The last 2-3 times that I went, I ate cookies, weighed myself on the scales and talked/flirted with a couple nurses until my ride returned. I think I'm the last one still alive. :-/