Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: smart drive replacement battery how much?

smart drive replacement battery how much?

Hi,

Does anyone know how much a replacement battery is for the smart drive MX2+ is?

Thanks,
    Rob

Rob,

If your MX2+ is still in its warranty period (i.e., less than 2 years old) then replacing the battery is free to you. Otherwise, the MSRP replacement cost is $1438 for the battery + labor (Max Mobility charges $100/hr labor) + freight. You are welcome to call here or Max Mobility with your serial number to get your specific replacement cost.
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 09-03-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    Rob,

If your MX2+ is still in its warranty period (i.e., less than 2 years old) then replacing the battery is free to you. Otherwise, the MSRP replacement cost is $1438 for the battery + labor (Max Mobility charges $100/hr labor) + freight. You are welcome to call here or Max Mobility with your serial number to get your specific replacement cost.
    PATHETIC! will medical hardware ever get real?? (other than REAL expensive!){
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Rob, If your MX2+ is still in its warranty period (i.e., less than 2 years old) then replacing the battery is free to you. Otherwise, the MSRP replacement cost is $1438 for the battery + labor (Max Mobility charges $100/hr labor) + freight. You are welcome to call here or Max Mobility with your serial number to get your specific replacement cost.
    Damn, that is expensive! oneof the benefits of being part of a captive market?
    Only two years warranty on a battery that is so crucial to the correct function of a product.
    Do they offer an extended warranty option?
    Does the SD require/use a float charge when at rest after use?

This doesn’t exactly help, but I have both a SmartDrive and a set of Alber Emotion M15 power assist wheels. They both were purchased used and fortunately the SmartDrive is still under warranty and new, so I am hoping the battery lasts a good while. I got the SmartDrive because the Alber wheels are too heavy even though I like them. Before I got the SmartDrive, the M15 batteries finally wouldn’t charge anymore and the price for those are $859 for one, and we needed two. My husband decided to try and rebuild the batteries and we found a place that sold him the individual cells needed (24 for each wheel) at cost, because it was mentioned he was rebuilding for my wheelchair. So it ended up costing us $350 total, and a success. I still use them daily on a second manual chair because we live in a three story house where I have two manual chairs on two different levels and a power chair for the ground floor and getting around outside.
    We’re hoping that we can rebuild the SmartDrive battery when the time comes on the because the replacement cost is a lot of money.
    I’m just sharing this in case the idea of rebuilding batteries is helpful to anyone who might read this. There certainly is a need for a more reasonable option especially when income is basically disability benefits many of us live on. I’m hoping more people that could rebuild these batteries would be out there. We got the idea because I saw the rebuild discussion on a disability forum and a guy that apparently used to do this for people on the older Emotion M12 wheels, but he seemed to have disappeared.
    Love
    Jnanda
    Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, Epilepsy, Head Injury, Chronic Pain Disorder

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Good idea on rebuilding the battery.

We need a group who want to hack their smart drives.
    I have a MX1 that still works just fine, but insurance just kicked me an MX2!!
    Loved the range on the MX1, love how the MX2 works.

I really like the mx2, but would love to hack it to accept my MX1 battery as an auxillary though......

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post

I really like the mx2, but would love to hack it to accept my MX1 battery as an auxillary though......
    I'm pretty sure the MX1 is 24 volt while the MX2 is 36 Volt.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Does the SD require/use a float charge when at rest after use?...
    Not a good idea to float lithium batteries unless specifically designed circuitry for it such as in a laptop.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Rob,

This price begs do it yourself. I'd consider cutting out the original battery and permanently mounting a good battery on my chair then hooking them up ala plug and go as needed. That's how I did it when I hacked the MX1 circuit board out and used a ligh weight battery.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I'm pretty sure the MX1 is 24 volt while the MX2 is 36 Volt.
    Correct nonoise. Here’s the link to the IATA certification that confirms the voltages etc. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9R...EwQk5hQXc/view. (As an aside, there are some international airlines that have a Wh limit that means the MX-1 is unsuitable for flying, while the MX-2 is ok. We’ve never had a problem showing that certification and saying that our son’s is an MX-2 (which it is), but I wonder if anyone with an MX-1 has ever claimed it to be an MX-2 to get it on a plane...).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.