Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: smart drive replacement battery how much?

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    This price begs do it yourself. I'd consider cutting out the original battery and permanently mounting a good battery on my chair then hooking them up ala plug and go as needed. That's how I did it when I hacked the MX1 circuit board out and used a ligh weight battery.
    I’d be a bit concerned about the loss of weight (and the consequent loss of traction) on the drive wheel if you did that.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I?d be a bit concerned about the loss of weight (and the consequent loss of traction) on the drive wheel if you did that.
    There would be a weight loss that could be compensated for. Otherwise it would at least equal the MX1's weight. The gain in battery life and distance could be substantial depending on the aux battery chosen. It may not be easily doable. One would have to open and find out. But there should be only two connection points at the battery. I'd use a new charger and charge it disconnected.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Correct nonoise. Here?s the link to the IATA certification that confirms the voltages etc. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9R...EwQk5hQXc/view. (As an aside, there are some international airlines that have a Wh limit that means the MX-1 is unsuitable for flying, while the MX-2 is ok. We?ve never had a problem showing that certification and saying that our son?s is an MX-2 (which it is), but I wonder if anyone with an MX-1 has ever claimed it to be an MX-2 to get it on a plane...).
    Aren't both batteries LifeP04 chemistries? And I definitely remember Mark Richter (inventor/old owner) providing airline certification for the MX1. Has Permobile pulled it in favor of the MX2.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Aren't both batteries LifeP04 chemistries? And I definitely remember Mark Richter (inventor/old owner) providing airline certification for the MX1. Has Permobile pulled it in favor of the MX2.
    Same chemistries. If you look at the link I provided the certificate covers both the MX1 and 2 (two versions of each), but my point was that each airline sets different limits on the power of batteries that they are willing to carry. So the certificate doesn’t guarantee travel with any version of SmartDrive, it just provides the details of the batteries used in each version. (And checking with your specific airline prior to travel is a “strong recommendation” on the certificate).

Apologies for taking this thread away from its original intent!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    good to know .. and annoying.... yeah the mx2 charger puts out 42vdc and the mx1 charger puts out 29.2vdc

I'm pretty sure the MX1 is 24 volt while the MX2 is 36 Volt.

Do you have any pictures of your MX1 modifications?

Did you figure a way to do a remote button push, so you don't have to hold the button between your legs on the battery etc.

This price begs do it yourself. I'd consider cutting out the original battery and permanently mounting a good battery on my chair then hooking them up ala plug and go as needed. That's how I did it when I hacked the MX1 circuit board out and used a ligh weight battery.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your MX1 modifications?

Did you figure a way to do a remote button push, so you don't have to hold the button between your legs on the battery etc.
    The MX1 was the original. The MX1+ came later with remote switches and other revisions. The MX1 had a lifetime warrantee written in the manual. So I have never modified anything on that registered unit which they upgraded to MX1+. I sent it in about seven times for replacements or repairs before switching to my hack (I have three plus a I made) and then to the Iglide. Anyway the original MX1 had a button and a light under the chair between your legs which you could not see, only kinda feel the button and have to bend over to see the light. It was annoying. So I built for myself a remote switch and mirror to be mounted on the MX1 unit's battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thanks for the replies, I think I saw on another thread that someone had replaced their battery themselves so will try and message them.

Hey, no the post I had seen was someone who had changed a battery on the mx1 I think by no-noise. Anyone done this with an mx2 yet?

The MX1 was the original. The MX1+ came later with remote switches and other revisions. The MX1 had a lifetime warrantee written in the manual. So I have never modified anything on that registered unit which they upgraded to MX1+. I sent it in about seven times for replacements or repairs before switching to my hack (I have three plus a I made) and then to the Iglide. Anyway the original MX1 had a button and a light under the chair between your legs which you could not see, only kinda feel the button and have to bend over to see the light. It was annoying. So I built for myself a remote switch and mirror to be mounted on the MX1 unit's battery.
    I like that, simple and effective.
    yeah holding the button down to keep power to the wheel is annoying, plus the MX1 was way sensitive, any bump and it stopped so you have to hold the button down. Then steering you have to keep alternating hands on the button so you can steer. The big advantage of the MX2 not so sensitive, and your hands can stay on the push rims to steer etc.
    The battery on the MX1 just seems to last so much longer, and it's old, the MX2 is brand new !