Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Denver from the South? Snow? Ice? Cold?

Where will you be parking? Both where you live and where you work. Inside, underground, attached, or what? Will you need to traverse sidewalks to or from you car? This will make all the difference.

Obviously, where you live you can control/change, but your jobs location is/will be set.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Statistics? Take them with a grain of salt. The # of snow days don't account for residual snow and ice. Let's say it snows 1 day but the snow lasts for of a week or more and then turns into ice for another week or more before going away. That's 2+ weeks of shitty weather but the stats say 1 day.

If you're lucky, the snow melts quickly. Look for stats that indicate not only # snow days but also # of days with snow/ice on the ground. Just be prepared for indefinite snow and ice even if the stats look good. Take it from someone who used to live in New England. Not a pretty picture for us.
    Last edited by August West; 09-03-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MN View Post
    Where will you be parking? Both where you live and where you work. Inside, underground, attached, or what? Will you need to traverse sidewalks to or from you car? This will make all the difference.

Obviously, where you live you can control/change, but your jobs location is/will be set.
    i would get an apartment with a garage, so no shoveling snow for me, but I won’t be sure what the work parking situation is until I go for an interview. There’s a pretty good chance it will be a parking deck at the job too, but I’ll have to see how far that is from where I actually have to get to.

You would still need to clear snow from the driveway to the street. Look into hiring a local teenager to do this for you. Find out if the residential street you will be living on is on the list for plowing regardless of the amount of snow. Not sure how they do this in Denver, but when I was in Chicago, residential streets only got plowed for a snow event of 6 inches or more.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You would still need to clear snow from the driveway to the street. Look into hiring a local teenager to do this for you. Find out if the residential street you will be living on is on the list for plowing regardless of the amount of snow. Not sure how they do this in Denver, but when I was in Chicago, residential streets only got plowed for a snow event of 6 inches or more.

(KLD)
    I'd never thought of checking to see if the apartment building is on a street listed for plowing. I guess that's pretty important information. Any idea how I can look that up?

I should have clarified, I don't mean a detached garage or a condo/townhome with a garage, I would prefer to live in a building with a parking garage (like 3 or 4 story garage underneath or adjacent to the building) so that I wouldn't have to ever worry about clearing a driveway or anything like that.

Here is someplace to start. Looks like you should be looking for something on a major street, with a major street route to your workplace. I would imagine that sales people for apt./condos would also have this information:

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...w-removal.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I live in Denver and we get 300 days of sunshine per year. yes we get snow but 90% of the time it melts the following day.
    You would do well to live near your place of work and if possible near the light rail stations.
    The population has swelled the past 5-7 years. The roads are congested of course at rush hour and to and from the mountains on I-70 on weekends and holidays.

if you learn the traffic patterns you need to judge timing to and from places.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    If you're from Denver (or nearby), would you expect that I would be able to get to work somehow even during the worst snow and ice storms if i was living just a mile or two away over (hopefully well maintained) city streets in the heart of Denver? Or does the city sometime become inaccessible, at least to those of us rolling through life?
    I've lived in denver for 14 of my 16 years years of SCI. I live in a neighborhood right outside of downtown (not that different or far from Lincoln Park) and have only been 100% snowed in a couple times... an that did not include efforts such as calling friends to come break me out - I was quite content to stay put those days if I recall correctly. I currently live in a house with a path out to the street where I park. With anything more than an inch of snow, there are gaggles of neighborhood kids and their shovels eager to work. When I lived in an apartment with a garage... even better.

Even if the snow falls faster than the youngsters can shovel and you HAVE to get to work, Uber is always on the prowl regardless. I've only had to have assistance once getting from the front door to the car, but the driver was happy to do it. The roads were awful and it was not an easy chore getting me and my chair through the sludge, but I got where I needed to be and didn't feel too bad asking for the help as Uber allows for tipping away the guilt. It's very rare that snow falls that hard for days at a time (and it's cold enough to stick) bringing the city to a halt. schools and businesses sometimes panic and pretend the wold is coming to an end, but there will be always be people out and about doing their thing. I would imagine that bringing on a new disabled employee with a position that cannot go unmanned as your sounds to be that they would make every arrangement necessary for you to have a place to park and a lear path to the elevator. I work contract gigs and every time I visit a client for the 1st time, most o f them bend over backwards asking what I need to get to them.

Rush hour traffic sucks... we're not talking NY or LA sicks but it still sucks ... as does weekend traffic to and from the mountains (that might be on par with trying to get in or out of NYC on a holiday weekend) but there's ways to mitigate. And it IS getting a bit congested here, but I think that's just the facts of life of living in a growing city. Those of us that have been here for a while reminisce back to 10 years ago when you could blah, blah blah.... I don't hear much of that from people newer to living here. I don't suspect it would be anything too overwhelming for you.

Feel free to ask for any more details or PM if you like. Denver is a great city. Good luck with your interviews and your eventual move.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***