Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Moving to Denver from the South? Snow? Ice? Cold?

  1. #1

    Moving to Denver from the South? Snow? Ice? Cold?

    I'm interviewing for jobs to start next summer. There's one I really like in Denver, but I've never (pre or post injury) lived in any kind of place where it regularly snows.

    I've lived most of my life in the Carolinas so it might snow once or twice a year and immediately melt, every couple years there will be a bad ice storm and everything shuts down. If it's below freezing and it looks like there's a possibility of precipitation they'll close all the schools for a week and everyone apparently feels the need to eat five loaves of bread and drink three gallons of milk each (never did understand that one).

    I'm a mid-30s T-8 complete who drives a Honda Accord and gets around via a manual wheelchair. The potential job would be in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, which seems pretty much in the heart of Denver to me, and I would probably live within 1-2 miles because I prefer a downtown type lifestyle.

    But my job would absolutely 100%, no fail, require me to get there every single day. Like I'm responsible for people's lives and there is no one to back me up if I can't make it in for any reason.

    Driving across presumably well plowed streets of the inner city in snow doesn't frighten me, but if there is a lot of ice and slipperiness, I'm not sure I could handle that both in my car and in my wheelchair.

    Any of y'all lived in Denver? Care to share how bad the weather is there?

    Or any of you northerners, how do you get around in snow or ice?

    I'm thinking worst case scenario if it's trecherous outside I could call an Uber and make them do the driving, getting me door to door... surely Uber doesn't stop functioning just because the weather is bad... right?

  2. #2
    There is less snow in Denver than you might imagine...much more up in the mountains. I am sure some here will fill you in on the specifics.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm interviewing for jobs to start next summer. There's one I really like in Denver, but I've never (pre or post injury) lived in any kind of place where it regularly snows.
    Good luck with the interviews! I've never been to Denver but being in the same city as Craig Hospital I can only imagine that there's a pretty good representation of folks with SCIs there. As for the weather, given our current climate crisis I'm not sure how many geographies are behaving true to their past reputations. But you're a science guy so best to rely more on the data than personal anecdote.

    https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usco0105

  4. #4
    Weather in Denver is very unpredictable, and prone to extremes of heat and cold. Traffic is awful, so snowstorms can make driving a real challenge, though the roads are well maintained. I agree with Stephen that anecdotal reports are much less useful than hard data, especially nowadays when seasons overlap in crazy ways.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is less snow in Denver than you might imagine...much more up in the mountains. I am sure some here will fill you in on the specifics.

    (KLD)
    I'm not sure how much I was imagining, but when I looked it up an annual 60 inches was a lot more than I was expecting.

    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Good luck with the interviews! I've never been to Denver but being in the same city as Craig Hospital I can only imagine that there's a pretty good representation of folks with SCIs there. As for the weather, given our current climate crisis I'm not sure how many geographies are behaving true to their past reputations. But you're a science guy so best to rely more on the data than personal anecdote.

    https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/usco0105
    Yeah, that's one of the many things that's attractive to me about Denver. Maybe I could even volunteer at Craig and do some good.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Weather in Denver is very unpredictable, and prone to extremes of heat and cold. Traffic is awful, so snowstorms can make driving a real challenge, though the roads are well maintained. I agree with Stephen that anecdotal reports are much less useful than hard data, especially nowadays when seasons overlap in crazy ways.
    If you're from Denver (or nearby), would you expect that I would be able to get to work somehow even during the worst snow and ice storms if i was living just a mile or two away over (hopefully well maintained) city streets in the heart of Denver? Or does the city sometime become inaccessible, at least to those of us rolling through life?

  7. #7
    FWIW, what I recall from passing through Denver is how flat it is. If you, or rather when you do have to deal with snow flat is a good thing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    If you're from Denver (or nearby), would you expect that I would be able to get to work somehow even during the worst snow and ice storms if i was living just a mile or two away over (hopefully well maintained) city streets in the heart of Denver? Or does the city sometime become inaccessible, at least to those of us rolling through life?
    My husband and I used to travel regularly to Denver for medical care. We are 250 miles from Denver and have never lived there, but we've seen it in all kinds of conditions and it can be rough getting around during icy blizzard conditions, mainly because of traffic bottlenecks and mounds of plowed snow in narrow neighborhood streets. Hiways are well maintained, but commuters can spend hours each day negotiating traffic. Road construction and lane closures are constants. The main weather issues come from Denver being on the front range, where the plains meet the mountains - so some really bad snowstorms can sweep through, even though there are not so many of those anymore; the weather can change on a dime. Denver was pretty accessible for me with my leg brace and crutches, but I don't know how it would be with a chair. It would be great if you could find a place near Craig, because that neighborhood is quite accessible.

    You'd probably do fine in the city if you can find a place within a couple of miles of your work (as you say). Denver is crowded, but probably no more than any other city nowadays. There are great restaurants and coffee shops, and I always found the people very friendly. Medical facilities are excellent, particularly for SCI. The only reason we stopped going there is that the trip became too hard on us.

    Edited to add: I went to Swedish Medical Center in Englewood (a suburb), which is connected to Craig by a covered walkway...so in a limited sense, I know that neighborhood and it's very nice. Between Swedish and Craig, every medical need is covered.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 09-02-2019 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Addition
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

  9. #9
    Snow is for the young. Happy to never see another flake of it for as long as I live.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Snow is for the young. Happy to never see another flake of it for as long as I live.
    I heard that! I love looking at snow, but arranging for shoveling and moving a car around for plows? No way.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Similar Threads

  1. I hate the cold, snow & ice!
    By stumpybushman in forum Life
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 03:16 PM
  2. Cold, cold feet
    By bigtop1 in forum Care
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
  3. I'm moving South....
    By WolfeMan in forum Life
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM
  4. If you're in Denver
    By Liz321 in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •