Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What individualized adaptive equipment do you want?

Exclamation What individualized adaptive equipment do you want?

My friend is an occupational therapist and she is doing a senior project on adaptive equipment for spinal cord injuries. She must make a piece of adaptive equipment, I would really love to help her with the project! If you guys could have any piece of adaptable equipment with any function what would it be?

Have been looking for years for something to make it easier/possible for someone with limited hand/finger function to insert their own Enemeez. Some OTs at Shepherd Center were talking about this several years ago, but I never saw any device.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Devices for persons with limited hand functions would be a good focus. I'm thinking of how someone would handle some of the "reacher" devices, for instance, that all seem to have a trigger to grasp in order to operate. I have about 4 of them at strategic locations in my house (one near refrigerator). I have normal hand function, but wonder how someone with hand impairment could use them.
    If one could focus on the "tenodesis" (can't spell it), maybe if a quadriplegic has that wrist technique it could be used to activate a reacher.
    Pardon me if such a device already exists.....

Also, a telescoping reacher device that could be somehow easily located on a wheelchair would be nice - would come in handy when shopping and at home.
    As a paraplegic I would use something like that. I have seen telescoping canes for blind persons - maybe a hook could be attached to the end of one. Sometimes all it takes to reach something on a high shelf is to nudge it and catch it. (Nothing heavy!)

Glad you are helping your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    If one could focus on the "tenodesis" (can't spell it), maybe if a quadriplegic has that wrist technique it could be used to activate a reacher. Pardon me if such a device already exists.....
    There are some on the market now:

https://quadtools.com/

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...d-reacher.html

https://www.activehands.com/product/reacher/

https://www.4mdmedical.com/quad-reacher.html

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

dam these are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    dam these are expensive
    Ideally, paralysis or physical impairment is for the wealthy.
    All able-bodied persons would do well to remember that before opting in.
    Damn, I wish someone had alerted me beforehand
    Last edited by slow_runner; 08-31-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Some of my improvised adaptive items are;
    *For spray deodorant, I use a spray paint can handle. @ Walmart, any auto parts store.
    *For credit cards at gas pump or car wash, I use hemostats to grab card, hold hemostats in mouth till I wobble to rear of van to get to the pump, using hemo's insert card deep in gas pump or car wash, then pull out quickly. My hands can't insert card deep into machine and pull out. Dropping card on ground was common before this unorthodox method. Kinda dangerous for me to do this stuff but I'm stubborn that way.
    *For picking things up in my van, I have BBQ tongs near rear of console (within reach).
    *For items with handles, especially bath brushes, I use foam pipe insulation super glued and zip tie strapped to handle. On some, the foam tube is longer than handle, giving it an extension (a little floppy when holding the end of it but it reaches my back).
    *Zippers (not on clothing), I put small zip ties on zipper handle to form a grab circle I can put a finger in.

Maybe SCI nurse can answer this. Is any equipment like this provided to persons with SCI before discharge? It seems some kind of organization, like Rotary for instance, would get involved in funding.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Maybe SCI nurse can answer this. Is any equipment like this provided to persons with SCI before discharge? It seems some kind of organization, like Rotary for instance, would get involved in funding.
    If you mean is it provided during acute rehab, it is variable with the insurance, and the expertise of the OT. Some insurances deem ADL adaptive equipment as "not medically necessary". Rotary has not been a source of funding in my experience, nor the Lions (they focus on vision care such as glasses) or other service organizations. Worker's comp and the VA are liberal in their funding of such equipment; Medicare and Medicaid varies significantly by the region/state.

Some things may be covered with financial need by organizations such as the National MS Society, Muscular Dystrophy Association, etc. for their members with financial need, but that is also very limited.

(KLD)

You mention "acute rehab"... I was referring to discharge after a paralyzed person goes through a rehabilitation program at a facility/center - when ADL is offered.
    Rotary has been involved with Polio for years - that is, promoting inoculation worldwide, so I don't know if they have been approached for equipment. On my Facebook page I saw a post about someone preparing a list of organizations that would provide help with equipment.

Regarding the student who may work on a device, suggest they might include how such equipment may be paid for.
    That could be an entire project!