Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shower chair transfer and bowel routine

shower chair transfer and bowel routine

so i have a mariner shower chair i use a transfer board with a chuck wrapped around it to transferring on and off as i have nothing on but he stupid board slides under me and have a heck of a time getting it out from under me

when doing my bowel im on the shower chair it has a u shaped seat i reach under from the front and try to do the dig stem question is how far up should i go when doing this i have short arms and can barely reach my anus so im not inserting my finger very far in does that really matter as long as im in there a good inch or so i guess im ok hell i dont know

i use a suppository and amt-10 complete
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-31-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Fix typo in title
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I have a similar injury to yours, and I get all up in there. Suppository alone has never done it for me. I don't know the latest recommendations, but my goal when I get up in there is to GENTLY stretch the rectum out with one finger in a circular sweeping motion, which in theory should help move stool down the chute, but in reality who knows what kind of jacked-uppedness is going on with our neurogenic bowels. I'm using my entire middle finger, like all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I have a similar injury to yours, and I get all up in there. Suppository alone has never done it for me. I don't know the latest recommendations, but my goal when I get up in there is to GENTLY stretch the rectum out with one finger in a circular sweeping motion, which in theory should help move stool down the chute, but in reality who knows what kind of jacked-uppedness is going on with our neurogenic bowels. I'm using my entire middle finger, like all the way.
    thanks do you go from the front or side or back when doing it im reaching under from the front

Options include using a "dig stimmer" device and getting your opening on your commode seat changed to either side or the back. Both would make reaching easier.

Suppositories do not relax the sphincter to allow defecation to occur. That is the purpose of digital stimulation (dig stim, dillie). This is also why is should not be used/is ineffective in bowel evacuation in those with a flaccid anal sphincter (lower motor neuron, LMN).

Suppositories just moves stool from the descending and sigmoid colon into the rectal vault so that they can be evacuated.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Options include using a "dig stimmer" device and getting your opening on your commode seat changed to either side or the back. Both would make reaching easier.

Suppositories do not relax the sphincter to allow defecation to occur. That is the purpose of digital stimulation (dig stim, dillie). This is also why is should not be used/is ineffective in bowel evacuation in those with a flaccid anal sphincter (lower motor neuron, LMN).

Suppositories just moves stool from the descending and sigmoid colon into the rectal vault so that they can be evacuated.

(KLD)
    mine has different positions i can put it to side or back ill try it and see i guess the further in the better
    i cant keep the board from following me onto the chair though

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    mine has different positions i can put it to side or back ill try it and see i guess the further in the better
    i cant keep the board from following me onto the chair though
    Don't wrap the Chuk all the way around the board. Just lay it on top, plastic side to you, and paper side down, between your butt and the board, and you will slide on the board without bringing it with you. "Pledge" the top side your board too. Give it a try.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Don't wrap the Chuk all the way around the board. Just lay it on top, plastic side to you, and paper side down, between your butt and the board, and you will slide on the board without bringing it with you. "Pledge" the top side your board too. Give it a try.

(KLD)
    thanks ill try that

I transfer from everyday chair to shower bench and back. I use Johnson's Baby Powder (not the cornstarch type) to cover my board and bottom of thigh to get slide on board. Coming back from shower I dry bottom of my closest thigh (to Board) as much as possible, dry shower bench edge, coat with powder, then transfer. I use an ADI board which has course sandpaper on the down side on one end. I always place the sandpaper end on the side I am transferring from.

Take a piece of rip-stop nylon, roughly 18" x 56", and sew the short edges together to make a tube. Lay this in line with and on top of the transfer board, overlapping the near end by about 4 inches. Note, the nylon is on top of the board; it does not encircle the board. Shove in the transfer board under you as far as you can get it to go, taking the fabric with it. Then slide. If it goes as planned, the sliding will be nylon against nylon, very low friction, wet or dry. If you happen to be near a sailmaker, you might be able to get some scraps of the ultimate fabric for this, teflon coated nylon used for spinnakers.
    These fabric transfer aids are available commercially, but just now I couldn't find a source.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Take a piece of rip-stop nylon, roughly 18" x 56", and sew the short edges together to make a tube. Lay this in line with and on top of the transfer board, overlapping the near end by about 4 inches. Note, the nylon is on top of the board; it does not encircle the board. Shove in the transfer board under you as far as you can get it to go, taking the fabric with it. Then slide. If it goes as planned, the sliding will be nylon against nylon, very low friction, wet or dry. If you happen to be near a sailmaker, you might be able to get some scraps of the ultimate fabric for this, teflon coated nylon used for spinnakers.
    These fabric transfer aids are available commercially, but just now I couldn't find a source.
    Several versions of these are available. Here is one:

https://www.mobility-aids.com/small-...fer-slide.html

(KLD)