Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compression socks

I awoke this morning and my legs and feet are decidedly smaller with that 'crocodile' look. A new fashion trend??
    Washed, dried, nails trimmed and compression stocking on. My legs feel better without that tightness and discomfort (more intuitive than actual feeling).
    Along with what SCI nurse said, the good old 'Lazy Boy' recliner is ideal for day rests. I did have one at one time but now the hospital bed works better for me; where I can get my legs positioned above my heart level. Or reverse position and elevate my legs near to 90 degrees if they need a rapid remedy.

As much as they prevent the build up of fluid in the legs, pressure stockings would prevent or restrict the draining of the fluid when elevated and resting
    Are you saying compression sock wont reduce the swelling in your feet, only help to keep it from getting worse? Also, that when relaxing in a recliner you should take the socks off?

Feet/leg swelling is a good reason for a power chair with tilt/recline/leg elevate.
    I tried the socks when my feet got to be the size of a can of ham. Needed assistance getting them on/off and they caused pain in addition to swell pain.
    Lazy Boy chair helped with pain and swelling but when i got a used power chair with 3 seat functions, swelling reduced quickly. From shoe size tight 13 down to size loose 10 in a 2 days of 4 or more hours of recline each day. Now I can maintain swelling with an hour or three once a week.
    Fully kicked back, I have to pee often if feet are swollen. Urine is near clear despite not drinking fluids.
    Also, a chair with the 3 important power seat functions puts your feet higher than any Lazy Boy type chair or hospital bed = faster reduction of fluid in feet/legs. 10 x faster than socks.
    If you are a manual chair user, a power chair with the 3 seat functions might be helpful if only for the swelling. A used one can be found cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Feet/leg swelling is a good reason for a power chair with tilt/recline/leg elevate.
    I tried the socks when my feet got to be the size of a can of ham. Needed assistance getting them on/off and they caused pain in addition to swell pain.
    Lazy Boy chair helped with pain and swelling but when i got a used power chair with 3 seat functions, swelling reduced quickly. From shoe size tight 13 down to size loose 10 in a 2 days of 4 or more hours of recline each day. Now I can maintain swelling with an hour or three once a week.
    Fully kicked back, I have to pee often if feet are swollen. Urine is near clear despite not drinking fluids.
    Also, a chair with the 3 important power seat functions puts your feet higher than any Lazy Boy type chair or hospital bed = faster reduction of fluid in feet/legs. 10 x faster than socks.
    If you are a manual chair user, a power chair with the 3 seat functions might be helpful if only for the swelling. A used one can be found cheap.
    Thanks for the reply.

I use a manual chair around the house and an electric when I'm out running around. I'm retired now so I spend most of the day at home in my manual chair. But none of my electric chairs have those functions. I find my manual much more functional for maintaining my house (I live alone), cooking and all the other things that I have to do. I will have to go to an electric full time at some point but for right now I'm still fighting it. So I will play around with the socks, recliner and whatever other hair brain ideas I can come up with for now.

As much as they prevent the build up of fluid in the legs, pressure stockings would prevent or restrict the draining of the fluid when elevated and resting

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Are you saying compression sock wont reduce the swelling in your feet, only help to keep it from getting worse? Also, that when relaxing in a recliner you should take the socks off?

No Wes, that was primarily in respect to wearing the stocking at night, while sleeping.
    Whether you take them off during the day when resting in the horizontal with elevated legs, or not, that would be a personal decision and based on your experience. If you discovered that there was a significant advantage for you then go ahead but in my experience, a couple of hours or three resting in the day is more about reduction of further swelling of the legs, than draining them.

This is my experience for a rapid result, day or night: if you are able to get horizontal with your legs at a position well above 45 degrees for three hours you should find a quick, positive result.
    It's the getting to that position and maintaining it,that is the interesting exercise
    Don't sleep at night with the stockings on.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 09-06-2019 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Noticed slow_runner has already posted to this but I thought throw my 2 cents...
    When first started my calf was over 25 some odd inches. Over years down to 18" at widest part of calf. Ankle went down couple inches, too. I wear ortho extra depth and with diabetic shoes due diabetic as well as to part one foot was lost from diabetic sore but shoe is 2 sizes smaller now due to less swelling.
    So, I really feel surgical/medical grade graduated compression stockings work. As far as testing, after some minor I&D on foot had leave compression off less than a week. Measurements was checked after healed before started back with compression, had get size larger stocking for couple weeks before got back down to my regular size before that.
    I lay dow in hospital bed twice daily to relief pressure back and rear. Have at risk along spine over to one should blade and history of rear end surgery. I keep stocking on while talking bed break. When I go to bed for night is when take off per clinic instructions.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's always helpful to hear about other peoples experiences, sometimes there are things you can adapt to your situation.

I have a Permobil C350 for sale, see equipment for sale thread. I'm asking half of what they sell for used. Mine is like new, literally. Wish I could give it away but just asking for what I need for recent expenses.
    Has 4 power seat functions which are great for pressure relief and swelling. When watching TV, I kick back. Better than a lounge chair.
    That is a good price. I was thinking about using an electric in the house last night and I don't think at this time it is right for me. If I'm going to relax for a couple of hours, I transfer into my bed or my recliner. Plus it would make my day to day chores more difficult. My little condo doesn't have much room in the kitchen and bathroom. When I come back from grocery shopping and I'm putting things away while still in my electric, I have to be very careful when I'm trying to turn around or I'll break the knobs for my stove or rip a door off my cabinets. Done it several times. lol When I'm no longer able to transfer, then I will definitely get a chair with those functions. That said, it would be a nice chair to use when I travel because a lot of times I'm in my chair all day and it's not comfortable.