Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compression socks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Compression socks

Now that I've started taking BP meds my swollen feet have reached the point of getting my shoes on nearly impossible(I already buy a extra wide shoe that's 1 1/2 sizes bigger than my foot). Been reading many threads hear and it seems compression some could maybe help. I bought a pair but there was no way I'm able to put them on. I have some grip with my hand, enough for regular socks. My question is does anyone have a method that can be done with quad hands (be nice if they hand a loop you could put a finger through). Also, not sure about sizing, don't want to damage my feet. My legs and ankles aren't too bad, would really only want to use ankle/calf high socks if possible.

Any insight or information will be appreciated. Thanks

There are devices for applying compression hose that you can use with even limited hand function. Here are a few:

Ezy-As: https://www.amazon.com/Compression-Stocking-Garment-Applicator-Yellow/dp/B0047A7D36

and the Ezy-As handles: https://www.amazon.com/Ezy-As-Compre...73QRQ04Y1CYBR4

Stocking Aid: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EFJ7YS8...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    [/h]

RMS Sock Aid: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075NQVDC6...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

There are also certain types that zip up the size, which you can get on much easier, and zip the zipper with a dressing hook.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

OFF TOPIC****
    You posted on 'BP meds'? Are you on diuretics? If I might pry into your business: Do you know reason for BP meds, what symptoms? Was BP meds ordered in connection to edema in your feet? Do you have any circulation problems? Are you diabetic? Have you ever had any pressure or diabetic ulcers on lower extremities?
    First I'd talk with my treatment team to address the swelling. Change or dosage change, only per your doctor's order may clear or help with problem. Plus to much compression may cause problems, so follow your doctor/treatment team's advice.
    The amount of compression goes with reason for use of compression either static like TED stocking pressure greatest at calf or medical grade graduated compression.
    Measurements of your extremities, ideally at awaking time before any increase time sitting up may increased amount of edema.
    Many devices for assisting on putting compression socking on but really need know size as well as the amount of compression.

I started out due to congestive heart/circulation problem with edema along with venous stasis disease and a stasis ulcer a bit above ankle. They started with below the knee 30-40mmHg graduated compression.
    Had a few diabetic blisters/ulcers on feet, toes and venous ulcers on lower leg. But, really thing they have helped. Measurements of ankle and calf greatly lower now and doctor changed graduated compression down to 20-30mmHg. Doctor left some my BP meds same but changed my diuretic as well as dosage amount couple times afterwards plus increased potassium dosage.
    "Good Luck!"

Mike,
    I take BP (blood pressure) meds because of high blood pressure. They have made my swollen feet worse.

One more question, can you wear 20-30MMHG sock 24/7, except for showers of course, or do it there a time limit and is that the proper pressure for swollen feet?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Mike,
    I take BP (blood pressure) meds because of high blood pressure. They have made my swollen feet worse.

One more question, can you wear 20-30MMHG sock 24/7, except for showers of course, or do it there a time limit and is that the proper pressure for swollen feet?
    Well maybe I didn't write response correctly and hopefully someone with more knowledge than this poor ole' country blood will explain it better.
    But here goes there is what's called Primary High Blood Pressure: simple high BP just because, extra weight, stress, diet, etc.
    Secondary High Blood Pressure: usually cause of high BP from another source like heart, kidneys, arteries(coronary artery disease, pulmonary, or plague, etc in other areas of body causing problems with blood flow like venous stasis disease),endocrine system or even hormones that help control/regulate your BP. Just to name a few.
    I've never worn my medical grade graduated compression stockings for more than 16 hours a day. My primary doctor as well as diabetic doctor and surgeon that took part of one foot all said same thing, bath then put them on til bedtime. Always check that stockings have no wrinkles, replace with new ones every few months due to stretch-age due to loss of pressure. I try keep 7 pair so have enough to last til laundry day. BTW: they are recommended for people who are able to ambulate but alot of us that don't are prescribed them because helps with blood flow better than standard TED stockings. The theory is as person steps that gradulated compression helps push blood back up though vein system. My stasis ulcers were from blood pooling in lower extremities in venous system due to valve damage and then blood/fluid leaking into skin.
    Also, insurance will not cover or at least in past didn't unless have a active ulcer.
    Cheapest place I found on TruForm(brand doctor started me with) is from Walmart, less than $20/pair. Also, good ideal to check measurments every so often to monitor any change in size of leg and be sure to measure at ankle, calf and length to below knee if using below knee model.
    "Good Luck!"

Do you sleep with your legs elevated Wes? If not, it is worth a punt.
    They have to be elevated well though.
    I have a hospital bed that allows me good and varied body positions and consequently, a better nights sleep.

Of late I have been too casual with my feet/leg care with the resultant swelling. Today I took time out and rested for three hours with my feet at the head end of my bed so I could elevate my legs at an acute angle (40+ degrees?) to quicken the fluid drain.
    They had visible reduced when I got out of the sack early afternoon to greet my family this Fathers Day.
    Stupid me, I didn't use my pressure stockings and now they're heading back to where they were.'
    So, tonight I am back to my old regime of lifting the bed foot end section to its highest position so my feet/legs can drain overnight. It means more frequent piss stops but its a small price when measured against the other potential outcome.
    Pressure stocking on tomorrow? Too right!

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Do you sleep with your legs elevated Wes? If not, it is worth a punt.
    They have to be elevated well though.
    I have a hospital bed that allows me good and varied body positions and consequently, a better nights sleep.

Of late I have been too casual with my feet/leg care with the resultant swelling. Today I took time out and rested for three hours with my feet at the head end of my bed so I could elevate my legs at an acute angle (40+ degrees?) to quicken the fluid drain.
    They had visible reduced when I got out of the sack early afternoon to greet my family this Fathers Day.
    Stupid me, I didn't use my pressure stockings and now they're heading back to where they were.'
    So, tonight I am back to my old regime of lifting the bed foot end section to its highest position so my feet/legs can drain overnight. It means more frequent piss stops but its a small price when measured against the other potential outcome.
    Pressure stocking on tomorrow? Too right!
    Slipped my mind but do ya'll have powerchairs? Powered seating systems? And most important do ya'll have elevating legrests and/or tilt? IMHO: Helps alot!
    If ya'll don't when up if able prop your feet/legs up on ottoman or in chair instead of hanging down.
    "Good Luck!"

Thanks for the replies.

I use both manual(around the house) and electric chair. No tilt or leg lift. I have noticed I pee a lot when I'm relaxing in my recliner.

So it seem that sleeping in compression socks in not recommended.

I use a manual chair Mike. There are no elevation rests with it and besides, they would just get in the way and do more damage than I manage with standard rests. Good advice and reminder on elevating whenever the opportunity allows Mike.

Sleeping in compression stocking has never been recommended to me Wes, quite the contrary, it has been warned against.
    And I have gone against that advice at the end of a day a couple of times in pursuit of a more rapid drain, without success.
    As much as they prevent the build up of fluid in the legs, pressure stockings would prevent or restrict the draining of the fluid when elevated and resting.

Important to keep in mind that while leg elevation while seated can help with dependent edema, it can also significantly increase ischium pressures and increase your risks for pressure injuries. Even having manual wheelchair foot rests set too high can do this. Better to lie down during the day with your feet on pillows. I always remember a woman I worked with who was a social worker at our rehab center, and had a T10 SCI. She would transfer to the couch in the staff lounge, put her feet up on pillows, and eat her lunch this way every day to help manage her edema. It helped a lot.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.