Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Firefly battery?

  1. #1

    Firefly battery?

    I just found out today that you can no longer buy a replacement battery for the original firefly from the company. They are no longer servicing it or selling any parts for it. I have the firefly with the silver battery pack. Is there anywhere else I can get one or is there another way to work around this? I was planning on selling it but now I don't think there will be any interest. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Is the new battery compatible? I wonder if there's a diy to replace the lithium packs yourself

  3. #3
    According to the man I spoke with at Rio Mobilty, they are not compatible. There are a different number of pins on the newer batteries. He suggested that I take it apart and try to replace the batteries inside. He said because the model I have is 7 years old, they no longer supply parts. They may have started manufacturing the firefly 7 years ago, but I didn't buy mine when it first came out. I have only owned mine for 4 years. I hope people who are buying the newer version don't have the same problem a few years from now.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 08-30-2019 at 06:28 PM.

  4. #4
    There are places that rebuild lithium battery packs. Or you can learn to do it yourself. Or get the cost to have it done and advise the buyer. Personally I think it would be good if someone here tackled doing one of these Firefly rebuilds at home and posted pictures.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    662
    A few options:
    - any ebike shop should either be able to get you a suitable battery, or rebuild your existing one, as they are pretty standard bike batteries.
    - try looking on second hand sites.
    - buy a new 36v battery online, making sure that it comes with the base connector. Then you can cut off the existing connector and replace it with the new one. You may need to make up new attachment brackets if the battery doesn?t have the same slide function, but that wouldn?t be too hard. (Downside would be that, for selling, it wouldn?t look as good as the original).

    When we took my son?s firefly overseas several years ago, I arranged to hire a battery from an ebike hire company. The electrical connections fitted fine, but the slide aspect didn?t. A bit of duct tape solved the problem!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    There are places that rebuild lithium battery packs. Or you can learn to do it yourself. Or get the cost to have it done and advise the buyer. Personally I think it would be good if someone here tackled doing one of these Firefly rebuilds at home and posted pictures.
    If I decide to rebuild, I will post pictures here. I may try selling it as is, and see if there is an interest. It is a shame because the bike itself is in mint condition.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    A few options:
    - any ebike shop should either be able to get you a suitable battery, or rebuild your existing one, as they are pretty standard bike batteries.
    - try looking on second hand sites.
    - buy a new 36v battery online, making sure that it comes with the base connector. Then you can cut off the existing connector and replace it with the new one. You may need to make up new attachment brackets if the battery doesn?t have the same slide function, but that wouldn?t be too hard. (Downside would be that, for selling, it wouldn?t look as good as the original).

    When we took my son?s firefly overseas several years ago, I arranged to hire a battery from an ebike hire company. The electrical connections fitted fine, but the slide aspect didn?t. A bit of duct tape solved the problem!
    This is great information. Thanks for this. The battery does say that is was made for an ebike on the side of it. I am going to make some phone calls after the holiday and see if there is a compatible battery and use that. Then I may still try to rebuild the other one, depending on cost. I will update here when I have some more information. This might help other people with the same issue.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    ...The battery does say that is was made for an ebike on the side of it...
    Excellent, google the model number. Maybe model plus the word lithium. If no model number there might be some other number on there worth trying and it also probably has a brand name. And what Gordy was saying is correct, those are what is called bottle batteries, commonly used for ebikes. Fortunately they chose 36 volt so they should still be available. If you need a different battery than the original it should come down to using connectors to get the red and black wires up correct although I have not seen one to know if there are more wires. Gordy would know.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Excellent, google the model number. Maybe model plus the word lithium. If no model number there might be some other number on there worth trying and it also probably has a brand name. And what Gordy was saying is correct, those are what is called bottle batteries, commonly used for ebikes. Fortunately they chose 36 volt so they should still be available. If you need a different battery than the original it should come down to using connectors to get the red and black wires up correct although I have not seen one to know if there are more wires. Gordy would know.

    From memory there are four female connectors on the base of the Firefly battery, which are then linked in the connector which then has 2 wires (red and black) exiting. I’m relying on memory as I’m not at home this week...!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    This is great information. Thanks for this. The battery does say that is was made for an ebike on the side of it. I am going to make some phone calls after the holiday and see if there is a compatible battery and use that. Then I may still try to rebuild the other one, depending on cost. I will update here when I have some more information. This might help other people with the same issue.
    I?ve just remembered about a thread from last year which will be of interest to you:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...omes-a-scooter

    You might want to compare the cost of a new battery vs the cost of a whole new Firefly unit (including battery).

    BUT...I made reference to a 36V battery in my earlier post. I think the original Firefly batteries were 24V, and the new Firefly uses 36V. That would explain why RioMobility no longer stocks the 24V ones.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Similar Threads

  1. Firefly users
    By darlagee22 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2018, 09:02 PM
  2. firefly rio mobility
    By vjls in forum Equipment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-04-2016, 06:03 PM
  3. Firefly
    By totoL1 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 08-05-2016, 04:52 AM
  4. Firefly
    By rdf in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 12:50 PM
  5. Rio Firefly
    By BlueRing in forum Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •