Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefly battery?

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Excellent, google the model number. Maybe model plus the word lithium. If no model number there might be some other number on there worth trying and it also probably has a brand name. And what Gordy was saying is correct, those are what is called bottle batteries, commonly used for ebikes. Fortunately they chose 36 volt so they should still be available. If you need a different battery than the original it should come down to using connectors to get the red and black wires up correct although I have not seen one to know if there are more wires. Gordy would know.
    If you’re happy buying through Alibaba.com (which I am), here’s a link to the appropriate 24V battery. It comes with the battery slide holder in case there are any compatibility problems with yours (although I don’t think there will be). There are several more suppliers of that battery on there, so you might be able to get one even cheaper.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    If you?re happy buying through Alibaba.com (which I am), here?s a link to the appropriate 24V battery. It comes with the battery slide holder in case there are any compatibility problems with yours (although I don?t think there will be). There are several more suppliers of that battery on there, so you might be able to get one even cheaper.
    24v eh? better go with it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

From memory there are four female connectors on the base of the Firefly battery, which are then linked in the connector which then has 2 wires (red and black) exiting. I?m relying on memory as I?m not at home this week...!
    You are Correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think the original Firefly batteries were 24V, and the new Firefly uses 36V. That would explain why RioMobility no longer stocks the 24V ones.
    The original Firefly (the one I have) has a 36 volt 7.8 amp battery. I do not know what the connector on the bottom of the newer battery looks like from Rio Mobility, but I do know that the charging ports are different. The original has three pins and the newer one has 4 pins. All of the batteries I've seen online for the ebikes have 4 pins too. So I would have to get a charging cable along with the new battery if I were to go that route.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 09-04-2019 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    24v eh? better go with it.
    Either that or buy a new controller at the same time, as the original one will blow if a 36V battery is connected to it!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

[QUOTE=Sugarcube;1885116]

I think the original Firefly batteries were 24V, and the new Firefly uses 36V. That would explain why RioMobility no longer stocks the 24V ones.[/QUOTE

The original Firefly (the one I have) has a 36 volt 7.8 amp battery. I do not know what the connector on the bottom of the newer battery looks like from Rio Mobility, but I do know that the charging ports are different. The original has three pins and the newer one has 4 pins. All of the batteries I've seen online for the ebikes have 4 pins too. So I would have to get a charging cable along with the new battery if I were to go that route.

Weird...I wonder when they changed from 24V to 36V, and why, as I don’t believe their claimed distance on the website ever changed.

I’ve purchased a couple of batteries online (one via Alibaba, and one via Amazon). Both came with a charger and the base connector, so I think they probably always get included. But obviously it’s worth checking with the seller.

Looks like you’ve been having fun pulling your battery apart!

Then there's this! I think this is as far as I am going to go. This is way beyond any knowledge I have. I am going to look and see if I can find another battery and the cost. I know I can reattach the bottom connector if I have to. Thank you for all of the information. I am going to go over the links you posted.

Okay, sorry I didn't update sooner, but I have made some calls about a rebuild. For those of you who may have the same issue, the cost to have someone else rebuild will cost between $400-$500 according to the estimates I was given. I may still try to do it myself. If I do, I will update further about the cost for that as well.