Thread: anybody have a fold and go or similar folding electric wheelchair?

anybody have a fold and go or similar folding electric wheelchair?

I'm looking to get one from the va or just buy one outright, mostly for travel.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Doubt the VA would approve this as would not see this as a medical necessity. Keep in mind that these chairs are not custom made, and fitting you and accommodating a proper cushion may be a problem. Some are not sold as medical devices (to avoid having to go through FDA approval) but as a "convenience" device, so be aware of that as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Folding chair

I had an EZ Lite Cruiser and hated it. There are quite a few variants, I tried several and went with the Ez but they all felt the same to me. The idea is great, but it's heavier than you think, awkward to fold, and the steering was horrible compared to my everyday chair. I ended up getting rid of it and buying a Golden Literider. It's heavier, but it does come apart in three pieves so it's actually asier to load into a car, and uses sealed lead acid batteries instead of lithium (****airlines won't let lithium ion batteries on so that kinda defeats the purpose of travel).

Mainly I got rid of the EZ for the battery and the comfort issue. It was herky jerky, it creaked, and it's steering was too unpredictable. It felt like I never could get traction on anything especially if there was any kind of incline. I even got hold of a programmer, and no matter what variables I used, it never really felt safe.

The Golden is primitive like a jeep, but the seat comes off, the battery lifts out, and the frame is really solid. I keep it in my van because it's so lite and I don't have to worry about babying it. It's got a lot of clearance too, so you can drive it in grass and stuff easily. I bang the heck out of it and it's lasted 3 years so far.

Good luck, hope I helped.

Hi Texjay 66,

"I had an EZ Lite Cruiser and hated it. There are quite a few variants, I tried several and went with the Ez but they all felt the same to me. The idea is great, but it's heavier than you think, awkward to fold, and the steering was horrible compared to my everyday chair. I ended up getting rid of it and buying a Golden Literider. It's heavier, but it does come apart in three pieves so it's actually asier to load into a car, and uses sealed lead acid batteries instead of lithium (****airlines won't let lithium ion batteries on so that kinda defeats the purpose of travel).

Mainly I got rid of the EZ for the battery and the comfort issue. It was herky jerky, it creaked, and it's steering was too unpredictable. It felt like I never could get traction on anything especially if there was any kind of incline. I even got hold of a programmer, and no matter what variables I used, it never really felt safe.

The Golden is primitive like a jeep, but the seat comes off, the battery lifts out, and the frame is really solid. I keep it in my van because it's so lite and I don't have to worry about babying it. It's got a lot of clearance too, so you can drive it in grass and stuff easily. I bang the heck out of it and it's lasted 3 years so far.

Good luck, hope I helped."

The airline won't let the EZ Lite Cruiser on even if it boarded the plane as a check bag?

I can walk and transfer to the airport wheelchair at the airport.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks View Post
    Hi Texjay 66,

"I had an EZ Lite Cruiser and hated it. There are quite a few variants, I tried several and went with the Ez but they all felt the same to me. The idea is great, but it's heavier than you think, awkward to fold, and the steering was horrible compared to my everyday chair. I ended up getting rid of it and buying a Golden Literider. It's heavier, but it does come apart in three pieves so it's actually asier to load into a car, and uses sealed lead acid batteries instead of lithium (****airlines won't let lithium ion batteries on so that kinda defeats the purpose of travel).

Good luck, hope I helped."

The airline won't let the EZ Lite Cruiser on even if it boarded the plane as a check bag?

I can walk and transfer to the airport wheelchair at the airport.

Thanks in advance.
    Not sure what the FAA rules are now... you'd need to check that on their website. I know a few years ago I was told the size of the lithium ion battery in my particular chair was too big and not allowed.

Years ago the folding manual hospital style chair was standard with chain drive and a battery. Good part was could go without needing someone to push you. Bad part, limited distance and inclines like steep driveways you often started at one corner but it usually drifted towards other side top corner. But, it was like the 21st Century H-Frame Bounders chain driven!!! Hear that chain a slapping you be moving!
    Seating was crap, hospital sling seating unless get board on top of sling seat for cushion sit on or have good DME they remove sling seat and fab you a metal seat base for cushion.
    IMHO: If you have rear-end problems or risk of problem or any back problems you are asking for problems with folding chair these days. Cost might be less but treatment for skin problems will off set that price big time!