Thread: shower chair or bench

shower chair or bench

do yall prefer shower bench or shower chair for bowels and bathing i redid my post just felt like to much of a rant i dont know how to delete it or i would
    sorry yall

t10 complete is my level
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 08-28-2019 at 06:32 PM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I'm T12 for 24 yrs and 72 YOA.

I got a colostomy in 2012 and recommend it highly if you can ditch the body image baggage.
    Prior to that I did my BPs unassisted.
    When we re-did our bathroom, I was mindful of my new needs. I got a tiny LED television and put it across from the pot. (I used to spend a lot of my life there)
    We laid the bathroom out so I could use the sink from the pot. (inevitably you get shit where it's not wanted and having running water is a huge asset!)
    We got a Nuprodix shower chair. I highly recommend spending more money to get this chair. It is a very high quality aluminum fabrication; it easily is disassembled and stowed flat thus allowing you to fly with little hinderance; it's pretty much indestructible.
    The cushion part, U shaped, is easily removed and can be mounted NSEW
    The legs are adjustable-if you need to set a height that's between the choices on them, it's quite easy to remove the inner tube and drill a hole in the outer tube(s) setting it exactly where you like it. (This is an issue because you need the gap between the seat and the toilet to be ideal in order to work things out. The seat is properly padded and sanitary (cleanable) and pretty safe to sit on for long periods. It doesn't look like some medical device.
    It's comfortable and stable-good for transfers.
    And finally, it's designed and made by one of us!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    do yall prefer shower bench or shower chair for bowels and bathing i redid my post just felt like to much of a rant i dont know how to delete it or i would
    sorry yall
    thanks for figuring out the rant delete ;/
    PFC; never miss an opportunity to brag about your colo ;/
    shower chair v. bench? I guess it depends how long you think you'll be sitting/shitting on it ;/
    yes I'm full of quips, besides brown stuff ;/

shower chair or bench

sorry yall

Understandable, but around here, old-timers have worked through most of the acceptance part and have no ego about our new realities. (When the nurses try to quickly cover up my already seen dick, I'll tell them "don't worry! Just about every nurse in Morris County have seen my penis.)
    Recovery in part depends on our need to tell the unvarnished truth no matter how ugly and thus actually communicate.

So I had the Nuprodix permanently over MY toilet and a shower bench over the edge of the tub/shower. It was a little of a PITA to have to transfer twice to get to the bench, 3 feet from the toilet but that's the new normal. (reality-what a concept)

When we did the total makeover of this old barn-house, we built a roll-in shower. So, in addition to saving hours of my time with the colostomy, my BP consists of shaking out my bag before rolling into the shower, transferring onto the shower bench(es), pulling off the bag, and enjoying my shower, as in getting out of my freight-train brain and actually being where I'm at, feeling the luxury of warm water massaging my body and flowing down me. (this may be my best advice of all these!)

EDIt here's a link to pictures #17

PS: got rid of the 5 gal aquarium. It's now a 10g rimless. We call it Bathroom Biotype. It's great! I don't have to add any chemical fertilizers
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-28-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    thanks for figuring out the rant delete ;/
    PFC; never miss an opportunity to brag about your colo ;/
    shower chair v. bench? I guess it depends how long you think you'll be sitting/shitting on it ;/
    yes I'm full of quips, besides brown stuff ;/
    Sounds like I'm bragging about my colostomy? Sorry, but I'm satisfied with it. It's handy when your shit comes out your front; much more manageable not that I ever really imagined I'd want to get my hands on it!

PS: I left rehab 24 years ago with a shower-wheel-chair. Never used it.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 08-28-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    do yall prefer shower bench or shower chair for bowels and bathing...t10 complete is my level
    If you have a roll-in shower, then a self-propelled rolling shower/commode chair is easiest. You can transfer to it from your bed or wheelchair, roll it over the toilet to do you bowel care, then roll into the shower to bathe, and back to your chair or bed to get dresses. Fewest transfers required this way. If you have a tub, there are rolling shower chair systems available that you can use to do the same, but none are cheap.

Some people just use a stationary shower chair with a cut out in the tub, over a bucket, to do their bowel care. This eliminates having to transfer to the toilet, then to your wheelchair, then to the shower chair in the tub, and back again.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I guess if I lived in a perfect world, I'd like a bench that was level with my chair (and padded obviously) that fit completely into the shower so I could close the curtain and not have it leak. In my experience with my one and only shower chair (lasted about 2 of the 12 years I've been injured), the floor was always a wet, slippery mess because the shower curtain was riding up on the bench and the bench provided a flat plane for the water to drip outside of the tub and onto the floor.

As far as what I actually do, for the past three years at least I just throw a cushion onto the floor of the tub and transfer from the chair to the lip of the tub to the cushion, so that there's no big vertical transfer. It's less than ideal, but it gets the job done with minimal cost.

For a couple years I had a small standup shower with a small swinging door that I couldn't get my chair into. I can no longer go from floor to wheelchair height without a significant struggle, so I bought a cheap $12 folding chair from a big box store and put it in the shower with a cushion on it. It worked passably for the time I was in that apartment and I have yet to see a shower bench that costs less than $12.

I have a non-rollable cushioned raised toilet frame that sits on the toilet. It seems unreasonable to have something that serves both purposes to me, because with my wheelchair in the bathroom there's barely room for anything else, much less maneuvering some kind of awkward cutout toilet/shower chair.