Thread: 2 batteries

2 batteries

I have 2000 ford van it has 2 batteries , the second is saddled on frame under the passenger seat for all the electronics.

they replaced it but now 6 weeks later van won/t start battery that runs the van under hood battery charger say full but no light nada.

both batteries are fairly new

how many others have 2 batteries so now I got to gt a wrecker again to take to shop

Could be something draining the battery(s). Might not even be battery related, could be a defective relay or starter.

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI Northstar conversion. The van came with dual batteries. For years I had recurring trouble with the battery being dead or at least very weak, sometimes not able to start the van, even immediately after a long drive. Finally, a new service tech at the local dealer suggested removing the extra battery. He said that, for some reason, the battery battery management system they use for the 2 batteries doesn't function well and causes problems. He disconnected the second battery and removed it. I've had no electrical problems since.

well just got back in we had pictures took of battery hook up and underneath so tomorrow we gonna unhook the line from the battery see what happen I am inclined to think same thing I don/t think I need to battey my other van did not nor my trucks but we have a hurricane coming up east side and it could cros over so and we get surgre so its out of here by tow truck or own power possible friday

If only started after battery replacement be sure check installed properly and grounding strap is intact, not rusted at grounding point or brittle ground line from battery to grounding strap. Movement from orginal location could cracked line.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    ... charger say full but no light nada...
    When you say "charger say full", I interpret that as meaning one or both batteries are fully charged.
    When you say "but no light nada", I interpret that as meaning your battery terminal connections are not making proper contact with the battery posts.
    Start by taking all battery connections off, wire brushing all cable connectors and posts to shiny metal and reinstall tight.
    Last edited by nonoise; 08-29-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I've had batteries that showed 12.75 volts, charger also said fully charged. Turn on lights, volts drop to near nothing = bad batt most times. Sometimes batt cable ends at batt can be dirty or loose, causing same symptom. If you or someone else knows how to clean them, this is always first place to check. If not familiar with cleaning them, DON'T attempt, get a pro.

Units with auxiliary batteries (not the same as dual battery systems) have battery isolators = alternator charges both but battery draw is separated. These isolators can fail causing one or both batts to not charge via alternator. Need someone familiar with these systems to test.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I've had batteries that showed 12.75 volts, charger also said fully charged. Turn on lights, volts drop to near nothing ,,,.
    Agreed, but OP said "no light nada".
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

ok back in we disconnect the lift part wire put on cable to battery nothing nothing said a choice word or 2 Justin said before we call tow truck I am gonna try jump cables

we both did not think it would fire after all nothing no light nothing no dash light so glad we were both wrong it fired up. so he drove it to shop battery gauge showed full lights work as we have a possible hurricane coming it can stay there we are going to bypass that second battery go figure