Thread: Sinus problem or something worse? Nurses?

Sinus problem or something worse? Nurses?

About two weeks ago I was lying half-awake in bed trying to decide on waking up. I had my left eye closed and my right was looking out the window to see what the weather was like. After I did, I turned my head straight and opened my left eye, but I couldn't see with left eye. I closed my eye and reopened it, but still nothing. I blinked a few times and then kept it closed. When I opened it again I could see but it was darkened but after blinking a couple more times it was back to normal. I nearly got into a panic but the entire episode only lasted less than 10 seconds.

A few days ago when I was getting ready to lean forward in bed to get my back washed off, I had a dull pain pressure in the the roof of my sinus cavity that kind of gave my whole body a jolt. When I was laid back flat again it happened once more. I wondered if the two things were related but it didn't happen again so I didn't worry about it.

Today when I was getting leaned forward to get my back washed, I had a mild tingle "opening" in the sinus again and the smell of something metallic or possibly chlorine. While I was laying face down on the bed, getting my back washed, my nose began to run. It was thin clear liquid with a orangy-red tint. It quit running before I got laid back again.

I quickly thought that it could be cerebrospinal fluid. I called my doctor but they concluded that it was just sinus problems and said to take some Claritin.

My sinuses don't feel congested nor are they overly runny. I don't plan to take the Claritin as I don't feel the need for it, but should I do anything else? I don't want to panic but if its cerebrospinal fluid, should I go to the ER or call the doctor again.
    Last edited by Scott C4/5; 08-27-2019 at 03:29 PM.

When I leaned over today that drainage leaked out again.

You need to see your primary care physician, and then perhaps an ENT and/or neurologist. These are not minor symptoms.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I spoke to my doctor/nurse practitioner but they seemed to think its allergies. My home health nurse suggested going to the ER so that I wouldn't have to try and schedule an appointment so I am going to go tomorrow.

I'm kinda disappointed with my primary care physician.

Thanks...

I went to the ER and they did a CT. They didn't find anything that might cause it (tumor for example) but a neurologist looked at the CT and wants me to see him so I have an appointment for the 19th. I haven't had drainage or anything for the last two days. Hopefully it was nothing but I still feel like something was amiss.

Glad you are getting someone to investigate this further. Keep us up to date on progress toward identifying what is going on.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.