Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public stair ramp combination - anyone have a clue where this is?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Public stair ramp combination - anyone have a clue where this is?

I admit I like the design.
    Would really like to know if this was really built and where it is, any one have any idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know about that one but here are 8 similar designs on 3 different continents.

https://twistedsifter.com/2012/06/ra...d-into-stairs/

Looks potentially dangerous for someone in a chair. 1 mistake move and chair will topple over. If you've ever let 1 wheel slip off a side walk that is 3 or 4 inches above ground, you'll understand.
    I think I could handle it with caution, but doubt you'll see one for public use. Looks cool, nice for private property.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Looks potentially dangerous for someone in a chair.
    Yes, there need to be bumpers to keep someone going off the edge of the ramp area, especially with low vision, and there should be hand rails too. A hit and a miss.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

There is one in Brisbane, Australia. It’s one of several ways to get down to the river from the CBD. https://goo.gl/maps/QZPx4EnF8qvzqtXV7

In our visits there I’ve always thought that it’s a great design, and works well. It would be difficult to topple over the edge, as the top level of the step acts as a bumper. And there is a handrail for the steps down one side for the visually impaired.

I’ve seen it there for probably 10 years now. I’m sure if there were any problems with its use, it wouldn’t still exist....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, there need to be bumpers to keep someone going off the edge of the ramp area, especially with low vision, and there should be hand rails too. A hit and a miss.

(KLD)
    I think the intent is to make it user friendly for AB as well as wheelchair users, with aesthetics in mind. Handrails or bumpers would be a "barrier" to the AB's. But agreed, it could be dangerous for a wheelchair user.

If the slope of the ramp is 5% (which it looks like it is) or less then it technically meets ADA, as handrails wouldn't be required on the ramp sections. Edge protection wouldn't be required either if handrails aren't required. Guardrails wouldn't be required since there isn't a drop off of more than 30". While I think it could be a little confusing to someone in a chair at first since it's so different, it doesn't seem more dangerous to me. I feel like I would avoid rolling off those steps like I would any other steps I came up on. I think it is a very clever solution.

Blog Entries
    YES, it's quite simply clever.

I do like the design element but could see chair users falling and Ab's tripping.

Given the length and width of run, they could just make 2/3 stairs 1/3 ramp. Boring but functional.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    That is cool how they tried to incorporate the ramp with the stairs there in Brisbane...... but have to admit, when you see how much real estate they had to play with it's a shame they couldn't have been a bit more dramatic cutting the ramp through that whole stair case .

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    There is one in Brisbane, Australia. It’s one of several ways to get down to the river from the CBD. https://goo.gl/maps/QZPx4EnF8qvzqtXV7

In our visits there I’ve always thought that it’s a great design, and works well. It would be difficult to topple over the edge, as the top level of the step acts as a bumper. And there is a handrail for the steps down one side for the visually impaired.

I’ve seen it there for probably 10 years now. I’m sure if there were any problems with its use, it wouldn’t still exist....
    Last edited by NW-Will; 09-01-2019 at 07:42 PM.