Thread: Mucus in urine after pretty much every Foley catheterization, Definite UTI?

Mucus in urine after pretty much every Foley catheterization, Definite UTI?

Hi all,
    I've noticed that pretty much every time I use a Foley catheter, I see large amounts of mucus in my urine. I don't use a catheter very often, maybe once a month and I'll leave it in for a day or 2. Thing is, 80% of the time after I remove it I noticed what looked like mucus in my urine. I never knew it was mucus until I did a Google search a while back. My question is, does the presence of the mucus mean I definitely have a UTI? I did read some posts of others experiencing the same thing and it seems most of them took antibiotics to clear up the problem. Should I ask my doctor to order a urinalysis? I feel fine otherwise, no symptoms of a UTI, no fever etc. This all started last weekend, I couldn't get in touch with my doctor so I took some left over Nitrofurantoin (?) I had for a couple of days and the problem did clear up for a few days. FYI, Nitrofurantoin is what my doctor prescribed for pretty much all my UTIs. Problem is, today the mucus is back again even though I feel fine and my urine is clear. One other thing, sometimes the mucus is bloody.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!
    Dan G. in CT

If you use a catheter, you’re going to wind up with bacteria living in your bladder. Those bacteria are probably responsible for the mucus/biofilm you see when you cath. Unless you are symptomatic - fever, flank pain, bladder spasm, increased spasticity - you don’t have a UTI, you’re colonized but your body has reached an equilibrium with the bacteria and so they are not making you sick.

If you consistently get bloody urine, then the catheter is irritating your bladder and causing some damage. You'll probably start presenting the other symptoms of a UTI if that continues also. Make sure you are using the right size of Foley, pay attention to the size of the balloon, and get it out of there if you see any blood.

Mucous in your urine is a sign that your bladder is irritated by something...in this case, most likely the indwelling catheter itself. It is not necessarily indicative of infection, either colonization or true UTI.

What kind and size of indwelling catheter are you using?

It is bad practice to self-prescribe antibiotics, and if you had this on hand, why? Resistant UTIs can develop from not completing a course of an antibiotic when prescribed. I would also question your provider's use of this one urinary antibiotic/antiseptic without doing a culture and sensitivity (C&S) when you have signs of a true UTI. A urinalysis (UA) cannot determine if you have a UTI, nor which antibiotic should be used if one exists.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzila@optonline.net View Post
    I don't use a catheter very often, maybe once a month and I'll leave it in for a day or 2.
    Why are you using a catheter for a day or 2? What do you do the rest of the time? Self cath?