Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure relief

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    15 minutes for how long? 1 minute? 15 seconds? 30 seconds? How long does it take for capillary refill?
    Depends on your technique. If you are doing a push-up complete off-load, then 15-30 seconds every 15 minutes is good. A lean forward (chest to knees) would be the same. If you are doing a side-to-side lean, then 15-30 seconds on each side every 15 minutes. If you are using a tilt-in-space power chair, then a minute every 15 minutes is recommended.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Depends on your technique. If you are doing a push-up complete off-load, then 15-30 seconds every 15 minutes is good. A lean forward (chest to knees) would be the same. If you are doing a side-to-side lean, then 15-30 seconds on each side every 15 minutes. If you are using a tilt-in-space power chair, then a minute every 15 minutes is recommended.

(KLD)
    KLD, I have always done push-ups with my hands on the wheels. However, the past few months have been challenging because I developed tendinitis and bursitis in my right bicep and deltoid. Back in February I wrenched my shoulder using the straps over the bed re-positioning myself while laying down and I hurt my shoulder. It's slowly getting a little better but it interferes with a lot of things so I will probably be getting a steroid injection in my shoulder shortly. Every time I do some pressure relief with the push-up method I feel it in my shoulder. I don't know if it helps or hurts the healing process.

Doing pressure relief is very hard on your wrist bones/nerves, as well as elbow and shoulder. This is especially so if you are a quad. I needed to use Hatch gloves just to be able to do so without pain, though I could not use them when working in an office. Doing pressure relief off the low projection hand rims and sometimes proved very painful when a projection would dig into the tissues of the hand. Doing it off of the tire was not much better since the tires were higher than the hand rim, thus requiring more effort to lift and the tire tread would imprint itself on my hand. Side to side leans don't work well with Jay cushion as they drive the gel into patterns that do not easily recover.

Going to a power chair has many downsides, but the full tilt, recline, and elevating legs, combined with a Roho high-profile has allowed significantly better pressure relief. My seating clinic staff told me that once in full pressure relief mode to stay there at least 2 to 3 minutes every 30-45 minutes. If you have the time and the space you might as well allow unrestricted perfusion to occur for a little bit to keep your skin healthy.

I made 24 years in a manual with no breakdown, other than the occasional redness and it's been 7 years in a Permobil as described above with no skin issues. Unfortunately, I cannot transfer any longer and this activity often leads to sores due to the tissue trauma of hitting the tire as I cannot generate real good lift.

Another method that works well is to lean over the side of the chair, a minute or so on each side. But you need full arm rests to lean on, otherwise it could be unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Another method that works well is to lean over the side of the chair, a minute or so on each side. But you need full arm rests to lean on, otherwise it could be unsafe.
    You can do this without arm rests, as long as you position your wheelchair alongside a chair/sofa or bed and lean onto the chair/sofa seat or bed surface. Push-up type weight shifts, as above, are the most effective, but also the hardest on your shoulders, wrists, and elbows, so learning a different technique that is effect may be critical as you age.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.