Thread: Size of nuts for natural-fit handrims

Size of nuts for natural-fit handrims

I was wondering if any knows what size of nuts are used to install the natural-fit handrims? Mine are all rusty and I would like to replace them. Thank your for your help.

Bumped into this slick video showing the size, and a how to easily replace the nuts in the future. I would look for stainless steel and hope for the best. Scroll down to the third video.
    Disclaimer: I am a little skeptical because I see they are using rivnut handrims in this demo. This method might not work with the more common tab type handrims. But the nut size should be correct.

https://ribgrips.com/pages/installation
    Last edited by nonoise; 08-25-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Stainless Steel Nylon Insert Lock Hex Nut UNf #10-32

Quote Originally Posted by dmccoyks View Post
    I was wondering if any knows what size of nuts are used to install the natural-fit handrims? Mine are all rusty and I would like to replace them. Thank your for your help.
    I replaced mine with stainless steel nylon insert lock hex nut UNF #10-32.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Okay great. I would prefer to use black nuts. Do they make them as rust proof?

Thanks you very much for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccoyks View Post
    Okay great. I would prefer to use black nuts. Do they make them as rust proof?

Thanks you very much for the help.
    Stainless steel is rust proof that is why I replaced them on my 'chair because where I live we go through all four seasons. Snow and rain causes them to rust and looks bad. I also replaced the bolts to stainless steel.

You can purchase them at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's, ebay and at your local hardware store. The bolt is 1/2" Phillips pan head UNF 10-32.

You can get black stainless steel bolts and nuts but not every place will have them. You might have to buy them online or off of ebay. Online stores will charge you for shipping ($4.95-$8.95) which will be more than the bolts and nuts whereas ebay you get free shipping.

I also change out the hex-head bolts on the foot rest, wheel locks and back rest to stainless steel. I purchased all of them off of ebay.

I don't know why TiLite doesn't offer stainless hardware as an option on their order forms and the company is based out of Washington state? It is only a few cents more for stainless steel bolts and nuts.

Here's the company I buy from: https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Great. Yes, I agree it would be nice if they would all use stainless bolts and nuts. Thank you so much for all your help this will help me get all them replaced.

I also wanted to ask how you determined the size of all your other replacement hardware? Is it on the Tilite order form or ?

Disregard my last question. I forgot about the following website that shows and offers lots of parts for many different wheelchairs as well as others.

https://www.southwestmedical.com/replacement-parts
    Last edited by dmccoyks; 08-27-2019 at 01:16 PM.