Thread: unlocked cell phones

unlocked cell phones

so im researching unlocked cell phones online and it says they dont support wifi calling is that true or isit a big deal
    does anyone else buy unlocked phones and have this trouble i was looking on bestbuys site and the reviews
    ive never had a smartphone and thought unlocked maybe the way to go as i could go to any company i wanted
    i thought of going with straight talk or sprint assprint has a kick start plan 25 dollars a month unlimitedtalk text and dadta

also is a samsung straight talk branded phone the same as a regular samsung phone

i guess only time id need it is if my phone wasnt getting a signal
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 08-20-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

The various phone companies each have their own version of wifi calling so if you want an unlocked phone that will use a specific carrier's wifi calling then you should get the phone from that supplier on the condition they unlock the phone. I've always insisted on having my phones unlocked as I used to travel internationally quite often and local prepaid SIM cards are far more economical than paying roaming fees.

Now if you want wifi calling like Google Voice, they'll all do that regardless.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    The various phone companies each have their own version of wifi calling so if you want an unlocked phone that will use a specific carrier's wifi calling then you should get the phone from that supplier on the condition they unlock the phone. I've always insisted on having my phones unlocked as I used to travel internationally quite often and local prepaid SIM cards are far more economical than paying roaming fees.

Now if you want wifi calling like Google Voice, they'll all do that regardless.

i meant like as far as using my home wifi or maybe a hotel wifi if my phone wasnt getting a signal

I only buy unlocked phones and I’ve never had trouble setting up WiFi. Some vendors sell phones unlocked by default, some make you pay a fee to unlock and with some it depends on how you bought the phone - outright or on payments.
    You need to work with the carrier to determine which it is and then figure out what’s most cost effective for you and which has coverage in your area.

What I was trying to explain is that all the major carriers have a version of "wifi calling" where it's totally transparent to the user - if cell service is poor and the phone is on good wifi then it places the call over the internet through the carrier's servers.

This would be impossible to set up on a carrier free unlocked phone because you'd never be able to use the carrier's servers without their ROM.

Alternatively, you can set up Skype, WeChat, for internet calls or Google Voice will give you a phone number you can map to your phone that works on both and you could forward your number to that number.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

thanks for the replies ill check bestbuy and maybe amazon

I have been using unlocked photos for the last few years. I currently have a Nokia 2 and a prepay no contract plan from T Mobil. Using Wi-Fi calling can implemented with one click when setting it Wi-Fi network info. The Nokia 2 is a good basic phone that I.got for about $80. It also can use dual sims, so the phone call be used in 2 networks. Mine is a gsm phone so a second network would have to a gsm top. As I see it the problem is that you can only use it for making calls, not receiving them. The charges for Wi-Fi calls are the same as for regular calls.

Sorry about the typos. I am struggling with an 8" tablet and word prediction
    Last edited by SCIfor55+yrs.; 08-30-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    so im researching unlocked cell phones online and it says they dont support wifi calling is that true or isit a big deal
    does anyone else buy unlocked phones and have this trouble i was looking on bestbuys site and the reviews
    ive never had a smartphone and thought unlocked maybe the way to go as i could go to any company i wanted
    i thought of going with straight talk or sprint assprint has a kick start plan 25 dollars a month unlimitedtalk text and dadta

also is a samsung straight talk branded phone the same as a regular samsung phone

i guess only time id need it is if my phone wasnt getting a signal
    Wifi calling is a feature some phone have but not all phone provide.

If its due to a bad signal in your home see if the carrier has a signal booster.

We have T-Mobile and added a signal booster and our calls are perfect now and it was free. Looks like a modem.