Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook and browsers

Facebook and browsers

Not fair, facebook is not supporting Explorer. They want me to use chrome or that other one. If you don't change, your pages don't load and I'm getting a explanation point. I feel like they are taking away my choice. Anyone else getting msg to change browser?

The new IE is called something else (can't remember what) and is in Win 10 only.
    Widows will stop supporting Win 7 and IE in 2020, also Google will stop updating.
    Not sure if that's your issue w/IE, just throwing it out there as a possibility. Facebook trying to stay ahead of the game, maybe.
    Just another way Windows is trying to FORCE us to buy new computers.
    Win XP is or was, still being used by our government and banks as it was Windows most stable OS till they got Win7 sorted. They were still supporting XP for them last time I checked 3 or 4 years ago, but not supporting everyone else.
    With all the updates Win and IE gets on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, IE is still the least secure browser. I rarely use it. Google is faster due to less BS on home page.
    I hope to switch to Linux OS some day. If Mac computers weren't 4 - 5 x the cost of Windows, I'd have a Mac.
    Imagine Windows making automobiles. After several years it would only go 35 MPH max and the doors would not lock. That's their business model for computers.

You are probably correct..I've seen the name Edge on a Windows 10 computer. Thank you.
    I really should not have to buy a new computer, mine are still good.

I don't mind Edge. If it had some of the extra features that Chrome has, I'd use it much more than I already do. I just tested Facebook with Edge and it seems to be working fine.

I have an XP and a Win7 laptop, also a Win7 & 10 desktop.
    The last year Windows supported XP, updates were almost daily it seemed. That year, my high power XP unit kept getting slower and slower. I still use it in garage but it's takes a little patience.
    This being last year for Win7 support, I'm getting more updates than previous years. Almost like they did with XP's last year of support. With that in mind, I expect my Win7 units to start slowing down soon.
    I will resist buying new Windows units because I expect Win10 will have a few years before it gets replaced, then a few more years later I'll have another obsolete unit.
    Whatever replaces Win10 may be like Vista, a disaster. Any new Windows OS is a gamble. I don't trust them till they have proven themselves for a few years. That puts me a few years into an OS that will be replaced a few more years later.
    Some of this dilemma is due to motherboard improvements, I'm told. Also OS memory requirements. That's why an XP unit >can not< have Win7 or 10 installed.
    Many home builder guru's (I'm not) virgin install Linux OS. Not as easy as suggested to replace an older OS with Linux. I've tried. Linux is free, open source, can be downloaded from the net but I'm leery of many net downloads. Will need to research/study more before I attempt it again.

Okay first question, why are you using IE? That is the worst browser ever made, it's very open for malware. You should switch to chrome because that's the best browser out there.

Question 2: what about other browsers out there? What don't you like and what do you like? Are you using voice dictation like Dragon NaturallySpeaking, because with that and the web extension it works beautifully with chrome. Microsoft as actually dropped their version of the Edge Browser and went to using the chromium-based model and ported over other Microsoft items.

http://"https://developer.microsoft....crosoft-edge/"
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Reinstall windows. They kill your puter with the last few updates. You won't believe how fast it will be after a new install.
    I ran mine after the new install and it was fast till the power supply finally went bad. I didn't want to throw good money on a old puter then.
    Art

Looks all 3 of my laptops will be outdated soon. I have one for each level of my home. Maybe I should really consider going with apple. Heck, never really liked apple, found it to be slower. I could make small repairs/up grades to my ibm clones. I am not so sure you can do that to apples. I dread looking and learning a new system in what is probably my last decade. Anyway, thanks to all who replied!

Quote Originally Posted by cindy View Post
    Not fair, facebook is not supporting Explorer. They want me to use chrome or that other one. If you don't change, your pages don't load and I'm getting a explanation point. I feel like they are taking away my choice. Anyone else getting msg to change browser?
    I think you are confusing advertising vs messaging.

I dont use explorer for so many reasons most because its so painful and slow but I logged on to my Facebook page no problems.

If your getting a pop up to download Chrome by Google that is plain and simple advertising but has no issues with logging in to a web page.

My computer won't update Win 10 because my motherboard is too old, apparently.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.