Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: quad stomach and self respect

u stud mrb, looking great.
    i dropped 50lbs last year and the gut definitely shrinks, if i get backed up it will puff up but losing lbs does help big time. fine line though, i was losing butt meat after 25 lbs lost. IF really was a great lifestyle change for me, it gets that fat around your organs too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

FES bike has helped keep my butt with some meat but there is a fine line. Reducing bloating helps a lot I stopped eating bread and switched to lacto free milk. We measure my waist 2 or 3 times a day and most days there is less than 1cm difference morning to night. Reducing bloating really helps how you look.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    "Treating" quad- para-belly is an "outside job." Sure, some will have put in some pounds but even if on the perfect diet and a total gym rat, if your core muscles are paralyzed they will, eventually, start to sag. Electric stim (e.g. FES) devices will not remedy Buddha belly even if they deliver powerful contractions while using them. When the device is turned off, you gut will return to its sagging state. Thus the "outside job" remedy is wearing a binder that works for you. Another helpful remedy is complete mirror avoidance.
    THANKS STEVE,
    never do you disappoint when it comes to helpful insight, but a buddha belly?
    gee I didn't think it possible to feel worse than I did before I read this, yet here I am. MIRRORS? , now I won't even go near rain puddles
    Keep you posted after my planking sessions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    FES bike has helped keep my butt with some meat but there is a fine line. Reducing bloating helps a lot I stopped eating bread and switched to lacto free milk. We measure my waist 2 or 3 times a day and most days there is less than 1cm difference morning to night. Reducing bloating really helps how you look.
    MRB,
    congrats, you did one hell of a job.
    good on that.
    were you ;lactose-intolerent or something?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dpatrick View Post
    Yeah, we call it quad gut,haha,..
    I?d definatly be interested in feed back on this one..
    when I was in rehab,30+ yrs ago,they started us wearing the abdominal binders,they said it helps to put some pressure on the diaphragm,helping us quads breath better,,it also helps a lil to keep in stomach muscles..I?ve used them since,put on every morn..
    i use one made by Tartan.,,it?s a 3 panel 10? wide one,,no metal stays.
    good luck.
    YES, I got that binder thing too, helped a bit till I got an SP. then the binder would ride up and interfere.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A good quality 3 panel abdominal binder will help both maintain your blood pressure and aid in breathing when up in your chair, and help to manage that "quad belly". If you are very short, you may get by with a 2 panel, but most adults need a 3 panel.

I like the ones made by Dale, as they are latex free, don't tend to ride up, and can handle being cut to accommodate ostomy appliances. Avoid having the binder go over your rib cage in the front though.

https://www.dalemed.com/product/abdominal-binder/

Generally, you will need assistance to apply an abdominal binder properly, unless you have very strong hands.

(KLD)

THANKS, I'll look into. I was thinking about one of those that resemble a shortie-wet suit garment; but I wondered about rashes and dreaded bowel accidents.
    any reference?

Diet,FES bike and TENS machine worked for me, before and after 18 months of dieting.C3 complete and only exercise I can do is my FES bike burning about 50 cals a ride.
    dang you look fantastic

Diet,FES bike and TENS machine worked for me, before and after 18 months of dieting.C3 complete and only exercise I can do is my FES bike burning about 50 cals a ride.
    mrb,

Absolutely and fabulous transformation. You look great! What a role model!

Keep it up. Its all attitude. I know. I've been there in 1977 tipping the scales at 300 pounds. I lost 94 pounds in 112 days and return to my junior year a different person. It has been over 42 years and I have kept it off.

You may just got others here to do the same.

Keep up the good eating habits.

Incredible!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    I manage to go 41yrs with an almost 6 pack, my SCI changed it to a sack of potatoes within short order.
    I get that I will not be admiring my profile in any storefront windows anytime soon, But was just wondering if anybody has had any luck trying those slimming abdominal garments I see advertised for the postpartum types? struggling through middle-age I sure could use a non-surgical kind of ?tummy tuck? As dieting only yields skin breakdown
    mrb hi-jacked this thread and missed your question. As I stated above I lost 92 pounds in 112 day but I wasn't spinal cord injured.

I still follow the same three rules I followed when I initially lost weight.

1. Cut out all forms of junk food and eat wholesome or clean foods.

2. Detox yourself off of all forms of sugar and you will loose weight.

3. Get 1 hour of exercise every day.

I still follow these rules today except rule 2. I am no longer addicted to sugar.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Blog Entries
    What to do when my blood sugar drops.
    I hardly weigh enough, just hate the quad droop.