Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: quad stomach and self respect

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Nothing special just a Neurotrac Sports XL https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neurotrac-E.../dp/B00B4QMD4A on an abs program. Used once or twice a day. I can't say for certain that it helps but it can't do any harm. It is just another part of the daily routine which helps keep me going. It has been a long game and keeping going is the difficult part, if you can make it a routine it gets easier. Recording food, weighing it, tens on first thing in the morning, waist measuring don't get focused on weight loss etc. It really is just sticking at i, nothing special about anything I do.
    In addition to everything else you're doing, are you wearing a binder or something similar?

How is your atrophy? I've managed to hold onto a substantial amount of muscle considering I'm nearly 5 years into this spit show. I try not to go below my basal metabolic rate (approx 1200 kcals/day) for fear of losing lean tissue that prevents pressure sores. Also, has this affected your bowel program? If I eat paste (bread, cheese, etc) and not good amounts of fiber from veggies and what not, then my bowel program is massively longer to finish.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Blog Entries
    So you can not only stimulate stomach muscles no longer controlled by the brain on will, but with these devices you can actually tone the muscles in a manner replicating that as can be done pre-SCI?

No binder, I've got one still in an unopened packet I had suffered with pressure sores pre and post diet but can't link post diet to sores. I've lost muscle from my butt but that is down to not using my FES bike thanks to pressure sores and now blistering from the FES pads. Once this heals I'll try and get back to 1 1/2 hour rides 5/6 days a week.

Tens stimulates the muscles, you can use it all over the body, I use it to stimulate blood circulation to pressure sores. It is worth reading up on. Don't think that I will ever have a 6 pack but if I keep getting rid of fat you never know. I can see a little bit of my ribs now which has helped keep the motivation going.

No binder, I've got one still in an unopened packet I had suffered with pressure sores pre and post diet but can't link post diet to sores. I've lost muscle from my butt but that is down to not using my FES bike thanks to pressure sores and now blistering from the FES pads. Once this heals I'll try and get back to 1 1/2 hour rides 5/6 days a week.

Tens stimulates the muscles, you can use it all over the body, I use it to stimulate blood circulation to pressure sores. It is worth reading up on. Don't think that I will ever have a 6 pack but if I keep getting rid of fat you never know. I can see a little bit of my ribs now which has helped keep the motivation going.
    after 6 years with fes bike I started getting blisters they did not know why and even though we moved pads its was getting bad so I just quit and sold it

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I like the ones made by Dale, as they are latex free, don't tend to ride up, and can handle being cut to accommodate ostomy appliances. Avoid having the binder go over your rib cage in the front though.

(KLD)
    Is to mainly avoid skin breakdown?

Blog Entries

WELL I CAN LAY on my back and see my ribs, or open fridge and see my dinner ribs, ;/

Diet,FES bike and TENS machine worked for me, before and after 18 months of dieting.C3 complete and only exercise I can do is my FES bike burning about 50 cals a ride.
    What an amazing transformation! Do insurances pay for those machines? I?ll have to look them up. I know I need to start doing some form of exercise myself. I?ve been reading about how well exercise can help people get over their dependency to psychiatric drugs, as it increases serotonin naturally and can help reduce anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Todd View Post
    What an amazing transformation! Do insurances pay for those machines?
    Few insurances pay for FES machines; VA and worker's comp are most common. Medicare and most often Medicaid does not.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Few insurances pay for FES machines; VA and worker's comp are most common. Medicare and most often Medicaid does not.

(KLD)
    I understand.