Thread: Article on "A Shortage of caregivers"

Article on "A Shortage of caregivers"

I'm down to only two caregivers and my mother, who is getting old, and I am always stressed out about losing one of my caregivers or worse losing my mother. Unfortunately, according to this article it doesn't sound good for any of us.

https://www.sfgate.com/business/arti...f-14305176.php

I read that article and long term the pool of people will shrink. It is also true that whenever then next recession hits there will new a new crop of unemployed willing to work for us. Right now things are especially bad for people in nursing homes because working in a private home is a less stressful situation. Being dependent on others is extremely stressful. I hope you get lucky soon, pukkap.

I also have really difficult time to find caregivers / CNA. My LTC insurance pays my CNAs and I post advertisements with $28/hr for 2~3 hrs in the morning, 1 hr evening and 1 hr night. No qualified CNA applies. Most difficult time since my injury 20+ years ago.

Does anyone know how to hire caregivers from foreign countries? Nowadays, I feel like I need to look for a different way.

Just curious. In your city/state, how much does CNA get paid?
    - In Utah, it is now about $11 ~$16/hr
    Last edited by JK; 09-01-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    I also have really difficult time to find caregivers / CNA. My LTC insurance pays my CNAs and I post advertisements with $28/hr for 2~3 hrs in the morning, 1 hr evening and 1 hr night. No qualified CNA applies. Most difficult time since my injury 20+ years ago.

Does anyone know how to hire caregivers from foreign countries? Nowadays, I feel like I need to look for a different way.

Just curious. In your city/state, how much does CNA get paid?
    - In Utah, it is now about $11 ~$16/hr
    It's really interesting you say you had a hard time finding caregivers, because I had a friend who went there to visit Salt Lake and they put a post on craigslist and received a lot of responses. The person who was hired never worked with a quad before and they said the caregiver was amazing, and they paid her $11 an hour.

In Northern California, you're lucky to find a caregiver, a decent one at least, for nothing less than $25 an hour. And that's if you're lucky if you can find them. There are illegal nannies that are charging $20 an hour for basically doing nothing but watching a baby and feeding them. They might cook you dinner, but basically they just get paid for watching the baby to sleep.

I know the guy who has $5 million and he is now living in a Medi-Cal nursing home, because not one nursing home will take him! He had five caregivers and they all gave him 3 to 4 months to look for a new caregiver, so he obviously was treating them well, but the Bay Area so darn expensive to live in. Plus, they get $25 an hour to sit around and watch an old man, so who's going to want to work for me and do my bowel program, no one. I have a friend who offered someone $35 an hour cash for four hours work and they didn't want it. I know I have no choice but to move, but the big question is where.

This is interesting to me as in the near distant future I'll need a caregiver. I have explored this on the internet to find out more about what training programs for certification are in our area. There was a big difference in length of training, with some private schools having about 8 weeks and the local community college having about 5 to 6 months.

I think I would first have a conversation with the college certified nurse aid program to see if any students would be interested - perhaps needing some additional income while in school. Has anyone tried this?
    I agree with the best wage per hour possible for 2 or 3 hours of private home work - extra for gas too.

Also, there's a rehab. facility near my home and when I was there for a few weeks this year I asked several CNA's if they did private work. (Turned out I didn't need them when I got home). I think they were making about $17 per hour - I heard comments that the pay there was great. The quality of workers there was superb IMO.

I posted my advertisement on two universities' campus and their nursing departments. Craiglists. and FB group. A very few people showed their interest, but they only wanted evening (5pm) and night (9pm) One male CNA contacted me and we decided to work together. One day I left him two voice messages and two emails. No reply. So I decided not to hire.

On the facebook, search for "Utah CNA jobs". It is an open group. People may see how homecare companies and nursing homes are crazy to find caregivers. There is no $11/hr pay anymore. You may see my post too. Same. One person cannot work in the morning. Another person doesn't have transportation.

My insurance requires a CNA certificate and I cannot hire any random person.

I lived in San Mateo, CA, in 2008~2009. Yes, everything was so expensive. I had only two care givers for morning & night shifts. Fortunately, one CNA who attended a nursing program at a community college was super helpful.

I have lived alone for the last 22 years, but now I cannot find new care giver who can come in the morning (5:30am or 6am) I really feel that I need to hire caregivers from foreign country....
    Last edited by JK; 09-03-2019 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    I posted my advertisement on two universities' campus and their nursing departments. Craiglists. and FB group. A very few people showed their interest, but they only wanted evening (5pm) and night (9pm) One male CNA contacted me and we decided to work together. One day I left him two voice messages and two emails. No reply. So I decided not to hire.

On the facebook, search for "Utah CNA jobs". It is an open group. People may see how homecare companies and nursing homes are crazy to find caregivers. There is no $11/hr pay anymore. You may see my post too. Same. One person cannot work in the morning. Another person doesn't have transportation.

My insurance requires a CNA certificate and I cannot hire any random person.

I lived in San Mateo, CA, in 2008~2009. Yes, everything was so expensive. I had only two care givers for morning & thenight shifts. Fortunately, one CNA who attended a nursing program at a community college was super helpful.

I have lived alone for the last 22 years, but now I cannot find new care giver who can come in the morning (5:30am or 6am) I really feel that I need to hire caregivers from foreign country....

gosh, I wish there was a way we could hire caregivers from foreign countries but I don't think it's possible. They have to be highly educated to qualify for H1B visas, and those nurses are registered nurses and will rather work in a hospital where they make many times more than what we can pay them. And I see those post around my area all the time for nursing homes looking for caregivers, just another bad sign for us.

And you bring up another reason why it is so difficult to find caregivers, it's such a process to be hired as an IHSS provider. They have to pay for their own fingerprinting and add a lengthy in class session so they can make $13.90 an hour. I don't see how this ends up well for any of us, why would anyone want to do a bowel program when they can make $18 an hour working at Chick-fil-A. Sounds crazy but that's what they get paid out here in the Bay Area!