Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a ramp, setbacks, etc.

dang you guys have to go thru hoops. good luck I can not imagine you having to do that

Building inspectors, lots of corruption there. I've known many contractors, small to very big companies. Many "kick back" stories so the inspector will look away. NEVER piss one off, they can make your life miserable in ways you can't imagine. From long delays to complete tear down and start over.
    The certified letters are to get neighbors approval. No protest = they approve. They must attend city council meeting to protest. The request for code variances is also posted in local news paper per law.
    My home was built in the '40's. Side porch is to close to road as per today's code (50' set back from center of street), it can be maintained because it's grandfathered in. However, if damaged badly from a storm, it can't be rebuilt.
    I've had 2 ramps. A quicky built by friends just to allow me to come home. Was steep and no rails. Replaced it with a better ramp, not to code but it works. I didn't get a permit either time. As this was my only access to enter my home, I didn't think the city would contest and they didn't. Of course I was well within property line.

"He said that the plan that we had would not work and came up with an alternative plan, but he said the new plan doesn't actually follow the rules either. He said that it was OK though because he said it was OK."

Those are the words you want to hear. If you think that his plan will work for you, run with it. Get him to sign off on it and start building.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    "He said that the plan that we had would not work and came up with an alternative plan, but he said the new plan doesn't actually follow the rules either. He said that it was OK though because he said it was OK."

Those are the words you want to hear. If you think that his plan will work for you, run with it. Get him to sign off on it and start building.
    I second that emotion
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ