Thread: Manuka Honey question for the SCI Nurses

Manuka Honey question for the SCI Nurses

A few months ago I had a small sore next to my Supra Pubic stoma. My home health nurse at that time suggested using Manuka Honey on that sore. The sore eventually healed but my caregiver, believing it to be a cure all, continued using it around the stoma and even using a q-tip to smoosh it into the hole, thinking it helps to prevent leaking. I've tried reasoning with him but I can't seem to get him to not use it... I mean its not super cheap. I won't go into the details of why I usually acquiesce, but if a medical professional could give any reasons why it might be bad to use this the way he does, I'd appreciate it.

My biggest concern is not the inappropriate use of manuka honey, but that you have an employee who does not follow your directions for your care. Do you have a contract with this PCA? Do they work for an agency or did you private hire?

Manuka honey is good for shallow (stage II) pressure ulcers, but is not appropriate to insert into body orifices such as stomas, the urinary meatus, nose, or to take orally.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

He works for a Medicaid waiver program. He's actually my best friend, so that's why I don't like to argue with him. Plus when he started working here he saved me from having to go to a nursing home. He means well, he's just a little particular. Thanks for the info...