Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recurrent C.difficile

I would caution anyone from attempting self-treatment of c. diff. Having seen a number of SCI/D patients nearly die from fulminating c. diff. infections with ulcerative colitis that could not be controlled, it is important to seek traditional, but updated treatment, under the advice of an infectious disease physician as soon as you are diagnosed.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    PCR is Polymerase Chain Reaction - it shows tiny segments of DNA, and is one of the ways they test for c diff and determine what type it is. So my test results mean there is neither c diff toxin nor c diff bacteria in my system. I have been on antibiotics for other stuff (hello, sepsis!) in the last 5 years but the c diff has never recurred. That much vanco for that long pretty much eradicated the c diff along with all of my intestinal flora.
    Sounds like you got specialized attention. That’s great it eventually ended for you after all that time, gives me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is a serious problem now days with strains of c. diff. that are resistant to both Flagyl and Vancomycin, (KLD)
    Yes c.diff is a beast. Other than my initial injury time this has been the toughest year of my 46 years dealing with SCI. I’ve lost some 50 pounds. What with the diarrhea (and for me the worry/anxiety of diarrhea happening if I go out) and the constant abdominal pain. I’m also struggling with a recurrent UTI which the treatment of caused the c.diff. Don’t know how they can be treated together.

I really appreciate this forum and the smart people on it who give some hope in what is otherwise a discouraging time.

I didn't know that links weren't allowed. Openbiome is the business in Massachusetts. It has been at least 12 years since my last infection and I still have stomach problems. I take dicyclomine for spasms and try to stay on a fodmap diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    I didn't know that links weren't allowed. Openbiome is the business in Massachusetts. It has been at least 12 years since my last infection and I still have stomach problems. I take dicyclomine for spasms and try to stay on a fodmap diet.
    Who told you links were not allowed? As long as you are not profiting from the business you are linking to, both legitimate and snake-oil links are open game here!

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.