Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bladder problems/UTI?s

Could the SCI nurse or someone else share their approaches to staying healthy, avoiding infections, while using an in dwelling supra pubic catheter? I have a pretty good idea of the closed system approach, but could someone outlined that as well? Thanks again
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by KyleP2112 View Post
    I tried the Duette catheter when the company that sells it shipped a ?sample? to me. Having the second balloon seem to agree with my bladder but the issue is the cost of these catheters.
    Has anyone had experience with getting their insurance, whether it?s private insurance or Medicaid or Medicare, to pay for the cost of these catheters?
    GJ used the Poiesis Duette catheter. These catheters were covered by Medicare. His supplier was Edgepark, who accepts Medicare assignment for payment. I know he had frustrations with Edgepark, but learned to manage them, their weaknesses and deficiencies, over time.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You can minimize UTIs with maintaining a closed system, securing the catheter to prevent pistoning in/out of your urethra (or stoma if an SP), cleaning the catheter outside your body and the meatus/stoma area daily, being sure that there are never dependent loops in your drainage bag tubing, and avoiding raising the bag above your bladder. If you have a SP, also keep any pubic hairs trimmed or shaved 1-2" around the stoma.

• Closed System: Avoid disconnecting your catheter from the drainage bag. I recommend attaching a new leg bag with extension tubing to the catheter when a new catheter is inserted, and keeping it attached. We used to tape the connector to remind everyone to never disconnect. At night, unstrap the leg bag from your leg and use a short piece of extension tubing to go from the outflow valve of the leg bag to a bedside drainage bag. In the morning, detach and clean the bedside bag with a 10% bleach solution and allow to air dry.
    • When in bed, avoid having any loops of your catheter drainage bag dependent (below the level of the urine in the bag).
    • Use a securement device (Statlock is one brand name) to secure your catheter and prevent it from pistoning (sliding in and out of your stoma).
    • Wash the area around your stoma, the stoma itself, and the catheter outside your body daily with an antiseptic soap. Dry well. Avoid ointments or strong antiseptic solutions applied to the stoma or surrounding skin.
    • Avoid using a dressing around your stoma if possible.
    • Keep any hairs trimmed very short at least 1-2" around your stoma.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I tried the Duette catheter when the company that sells it shipped a ?sample? to me. Having the second balloon seem to agree with my bladder but the issue is the cost of these catheters.
    Has anyone had experience with getting their insurance, whether it?s private insurance or Medicaid or Medicare, to pay for the cost of these catheters?
    My Duette catheters are covered by workers comp.

I tried the Duette catheter when the company that sells it shipped a sample to me. Having the second balloon seem to agree with my bladder but the issue is the cost of these catheters.
    What is your insurance? Medicare covers one indwelling catheter a month; more frequent changes as you cite above may have been the cause of you needing to pay out of pocket.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I am on medicare and I got my cathes up to 8or 3 month period 5 duette 3 bard my dr prescribe the extra

Angry Update on Bladder Problems/Infection

I have an update to my post about bladder problems and infection from a little while ago. Here is a link to my original post http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...problems-UTI-s

Unfortunately because of the presence of two strains of strong bacteria in my bladder I have to receive intravenous antibiotics which will be delivered by a picc line or central line. Today is Friday and I?m going to get the line put in Monday morning for a seven day course of antibiotics.

This issue has been going on for two or three months or more. About two weeks ago after being prescribed the antibiotic Bactrim buy my urologist for a UTI/bladder infection I felt somewhat better but as soon as the antibiotics were stopped, the symptoms of a bladder infection returned...pain, bladder spasms and voiding of my bladder especially when I?m sitting up in the chair. After finishing the seven day course of oral antibiotics I submitted another urine culture to be tested. Unfortunately The culture came back with not one, but two strong strains of bacteria as I said before. The urologist said this is the best approach as taking two antibiotics to deal with the two different strains would be harsh on my stomach. I am scheduled to have a Botox procedure on my bladder done on September 16, So the intravenous antibiotics better work.

This is a first for me and hopefully this will help me turn the corner and not have so many bladder problems. Anyone else have similar experiences?

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Doesn’t seem like people will notice the post since it was put on the end of the old post I had.