Thread: Looking to set up a support/advocacy group

Red face Looking to set up a support/advocacy group

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to set up a support/advocacy group in the central Florida area, specifically between Leesburg and Ocala. I live in the Villages, FL, and I think I can find a meeting place somewhere in that area. So, I'm sending this out to reach out to folks who may live in the area who may be interested in this. Please respond if you are interested or think you know of someone who might be interested. Hopefully this approach will work.

Thanks for your help.

GreaseLightning

Have you considered either joining an existing or setting up a chapter or support group of United Spinal Association? The national organization will help with the latter.

There is an existing chapter in the Orlando area:

Greater Orlando Spinal Cord Injury Network – Chapter of United Spinal
    https://www.facebook.com/OrlandoSpinalNetwork/

and 16 United Spinal Association Peer Support groups in the state of Florida:

http://www.spinalcord.org/spinal-net...ation/florida/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

The drive to Orlando is far, so I'm trying to set up something local to this area. I figure there might be folks around here interested in doing something. And I'm hoping to locate some of them by using this site.

Did you look at the list of Florida USA Support Groups above? There is one listed for Ocala, Florida already.
    http://www.spinalcord.org/spinal-net...ocala-chapter/

I would still suggest contacting United Spinal and setting up your group as a USA chapter and/or support group. They will provide you with significant support you can't get elsewhere.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 08-12-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseLightning View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to set up a support/advocacy group in the central Florida area, specifically between Leesburg and Ocala. I live in the Villages, FL, and I think I can find a meeting place somewhere in that area. So, I'm sending this out to reach out to folks who may live in the area who may be interested in this. Please respond if you are interested or think you know of someone who might be interested. Hopefully this approach will work.

Thanks for your help.

GreaseLightning
    the villages I hear that's is party town usa

Thanks for the info. I'll reach out to that group.

People DO have fun here, that's for sure.