Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to normalize the bowel program for new hires?

Question How to normalize the bowel program for new hires?

One would think that after a decade and 1/2 that I would be used to this but it still is mentally and physically rough for me.

Nonetheless, about my and many others personal feelings ? does anyone here have a good way to sell/normalize the bowel program for new hires. I've tried a variety of different ways to train and hire some with success and some with pure embarrassment and humiliation.

Any and all thoughts on how other quads and/or family members work through this with caregivers is welcome. My full-time caregiver of over three years just left due to a car accident and on back to square one in some aspects.

Ideas? Thoughts?

you may not want to hear this but colostomy is a great thing being a quad its quick easy and painless . I am 95% indepent now . what is ur level its freedom really

Blog Entries
    truthfully there is no way to normalize what is anatomically abnormal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    you may not want to hear this but colostomy is a great thing being a quad its quick easy and painless . I am 95% indepent now . what is ur level its freedom really
    the 'colostomy corner speaks'
    my jealousy knows no bounds.
    ; fyi, only can make you independent if you have the para ability to do so, otherwise you're making later move.

C4/5. Incomplete. I’m not against a colostomy; I thought about it and entertain the possible solution. However I have predisposition to infection and I’m not a big fan of adding additional holes in my body. By SPT causes a fair amount of pain around the ostomy site alone – due to hyper sensitivity in that area.
    It wouldn’t make me independent.

Do you describe in detail what is involved in your bowel care (and other personal care needs) when interviewing new PCAs? I found this very helpful in weeding out those who were squeamish about such things when I was hiring people to be PCAs for my mother. I am assuming you have some or total input into who you hire, unless you are required to get your care from an agency. If the latter is the case, ask the agency to pre-screen who they send out with a detailed description (which you could write up for them) of what your care entails.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

They are inserting devices directly into our brains and spinal cords for various reasons. Someone needs to invent a wireless microscopic stimulator that can be placed in the bowels that's controlled by smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    the 'colostomy corner speaks'
    my jealousy knows no bounds.
    ; fyi, only can make you independent if you have the para ability to do so, otherwise you're making later move.
    tim I don/t understand the last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    C4/5. Incomplete. I’m not against a colostomy; I thought about it and entertain the possible solution. However I have predisposition to infection and I’m not a big fan of adding additional holes in my body. By SPT causes a fair amount of pain around the ostomy site alone – due to hyper sensitivity in that area.
    It wouldn’t make me independent.
    maybe not but would in my liitle knowledge make it easier just a thought as you only kknow your body

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smity50 View Post
    they are inserting devices directly into our brains and spinal cords for various reasons. Someone needs to invent a wireless microscopic stimulator that can be placed in the bowels that's controlled by smartphone.
    ha, there's going to be an app for poop