Thread: Living in Las Vegas

Living in Las Vegas

Hi,
    Does anyone live in Las Vegas? I am interested in moving to Las Vegas, but have a little concern on Summer heat/temperature.
    One of my care givers says "you don't go out much during Summer and stay under the AC here. It will be same"

Does anyone have some experience in Las Vegas?

I know many people with SCI/D who live in the Las Vegas area; although more live in nearby Henderson that right in Las Vegas.

Similar to most of the desert Southwest including Tucson and Phoenix, summers are very hot, but winters can also be cold. Home air conditioning is a must, and many people who are heat sensitive (conditions such as MS, SCI, etc.) plan their summers around being indoors...as my clients there used to say: you go from your air conditioned house, to your air conditioned vehicle, to the air conditioned mall or theater or workplace, and back. Outdoor exercises may be problematic, so many swim or go to an air conditioned gym to work out. Gardening in the summer can also be a problem. We used to issue cooling vests to those who really needed to be outdoors for short periods in the summer, but they won't necessarily provide sufficient cooling for long exposure.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JK View Post
    Hi,
    Does anyone live in Las Vegas? I am interested in moving to Las Vegas, but have a little concern on Summer heat/temperature.
    One of my care givers says "you don't go out much during Summer and stay under the AC here. It will be same"

Does anyone have some experience in Las Vegas?
    Life is what you make it..we become very adaptive to our surroundings. Dont live in Las Vegas but travel a lot to the city many times a year.

They have a great transportation system, so to get light rail, lots of things to do and see, great entertainment, becoming a major player with professional sport.

Some of the out side cities Henderson, Green Valley, Summerlin, are not so many visitors and not as big of crowd attraction.

Weather is hot in the summer and very windy, cold and snow to the mountains on the outskirts of the city.

Taxes are a little cheaper but good and bad areas blend so need to really check the areas you move to.

One of the biggest issues with Las Vegas itself is crime can be an issue. With a lot of tourist people seem to think they can come to the city and it has no rules.

SCI-Nurse & RollPositive, Thank you for very useful information.

This thread made me look up the weather in Las Vegas. I've been several times, but in retrospect I guess never in the height of summer. Apparently it is not unheard of for it to be in the 110s in the summer and the AVERAGE high is over 100 in July and August. That's pretty brutal, even if the humidity is low.

That being said, the times of year I've been to Las Vegas it's been quite pleasant, even in winter (and I'm from the south). I like how Vegas is very flat and there's been a ton of new building in the past couple decades so almost everything is accessible and has been built post ADA.

The Vegas airport is one of the few airports where I've been directly guided to waiting wheelchair taxi with a ramp as soon as I go to the taxi stand, which to me indicates that at least the tourist and travel industries are quite happy to accommodate us in the hopes that we'll lose our pensions and disability checks at the slot machines.

Blog Entries
    speaking of living inside in summer...The heat/humidity wave of July here in central nj beat the hell out of me. I could stand maybe 30 mins at a shot then it was back inside for 45mins weight shift just to recover. a low humidity area like LV will cook you with UV rays.
    Lately even with the treat of cooler days here in August thus far, the sun's rays sneak up with a ripping sunburn. yet if my feet, imprisoned in socks and sneakers, could cry, they'd be wailing away. I position my chair with legs/feet in shade. goofy bastard that I am.