Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chair, Aero Z, 1st Month Review

Blog Entries

New Chair, Aero Z, 1st Month Review

So, for anyone who didn't see my original thread on my new chair journey, here it is:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...to-get-a-chair

That's a decent synopsis of the process leading up to delivery. All in all, painless, albeit a long wait. All the approvals and paper work, etc., were handled by my D.O., PT, and DME behind the scenes, entirely transparent to me. One trip to the D.O., one trip to the seating eval, a couple/few emails to finalize settings, wait, wait some more, wait again, then delivery.

DME brought the chair to my house, which was nice. They hung out for a few minutes going over everything and signing paperwork, etc.

Here it is:

It's a mostly stock TiLite Aero Z. My goal was to spend as little as possible and still have my needs met 100% (if not all my desires), and I was successful in that. ~$200 for the chair and ~$400 for SmartDrive. (I haven't seen the EoB so I'm not entirely certain of the break down.)

"Initial quality" seems very high. Everything is solid. No squeaks, creaks, or rattles despite having way more adjustability than I want/need. Only time will tell how this pans out over the next ~5 years of service.

Only changes, thus far, have been lowering the backrest, cranking down all the backrest bolts so hard it no longer folds (and has zero play now), and I've added my own homemade CF side guards (bolted to backrest canes and frame...effectively fixing the backrest in place.)

(I ordered a 400x500x2mm solid carbon fiber sheet, off Amazon dot com, from Arriss, for $70. This was ample to make these 2 side guards. I made a cardboard template, traced it onto the CF, then cut it out with a Dremel cutting wheel. Finished the edges/bumps with a diamond file and topped them with U channel automotive door edge trim. They are direct mounted using existing bolt holes; the one on the frame and the lowest one on the backrest

I also removed every bolt I could and added thread locker where it wasn't already present (which was most of the bolts. A few do come with medium/"blue" thread locker on them already).

The wheelbase/footprint and OFL specs are nearly identical to the chair it is replacing (Lasher BTMg) so they push very similarly. I can't tell which chair I'm in just from pushing it around the house, aside from the Roho Agility backrest, which feels better and is more comfy. Also, the Zero Play camber plugs from TiLite are FANTASTIC. They're slightly harder to mount the wheels into, and will be more sensitive to keeping clean, no doubt, but the mounting is SOLID. 'Zero Play' isn't marketing hype. Well, I guess technically it is, but, "Significantly Less Play Almost Imperceptible" camber plugs doesn't quite have the same ring to it, although it'd be more accurately descriptive.

Future plans: I'm planning on shaping another 2.5mm CF sheet I already have on hand to use as a seat pan. The stock upholstery is already sagged more than I can accept and it's a serious chore to tighten up. I'm just gonna yank it off instead of mess with it. Might use the same bolt holes to mount the CF pan, or just use some Velcro. We'll see.

Something interesting is this backrest bracket. It doesn't look like any of the ones in marketing materials, isn't the same one that's illustrated in the owners manual, and isn't listed in their online parts catalogs. Huh. It's much better than the old one, too.

(A special shout-out to stephen212, from bike-on, who helped me design and order the Spinergy XLX Lite wheels. He's a credit to the DME business, even if it's just a 'side hussle' for him. He also helped with an unrelated customer service inquiry with TiLite, and a TiLite rep responded directly to me, and quickly got me exactly what I needed. Thank you!)

The rear wheels were entirely a vanity add-on, and after thought. I saved a ton of money, using Medicare, to get a decent chair, then blew the savings on a set of wheels. LOL. The stock wheels 'Shadow', from TiLite, are actually a few ounces lighter and look fine IMO.)

Here it is hanging from my luggage scale, as configured in first full chair picture, including my Case Logic under seat pouch and all my crap (which is a couple pounds of stuff at least)

Bottom line: Initial quality is outstanding. Weight is very good. Performance meets expectations (which, coming from custom Lashers, was high). The value proposition of this chair is incredible and undeniable. Out of the box, it is at least 85% the chair that my Lashers are, minus the vanity "cool factor/cripple street cred", at LITERALLY 1/25th the price (using Medicare, with the stock Shadow wheels.)

Will it be so solid, as it is today, in 11 years (which the Lasher accomplished)? We will have to wait to find out.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

To anyone with the new Aero Z and the single-sided fork, PLEASE do yourself a favor and go buy a few more of the E-style retaining clips. #17 on the diagram. They are 1/4" E-style black zinc. You can find these at Lowe's and inexpensive for the headache they can cause. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4-in-E-Clips/3050745

I received my Aero Z earlier this year and one of the rings popped off and I didn't know. A few days later I was pulling my frame out of the truck and transferred to the chair when the whole caster wheel came off. Luckily, it didn't happen when I was in the grocery store. I hopped back into the truck and put it together as tight as I could and went straight home, then to Lowe's. I put on the new one and dabbed both with some Loctite. I habitually check to make sure those rings are there so it doesn't happen again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is the backrest angle adjustable? Hard to tell from that picture. That bracket does look much better.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, its adjustable. Quite easily too. The bolt you see sticking out the back of the bracket is the adjuster. Loosen it, line up the angle lines printed on each bracket, and tighten back down. I LocTited the shit out of all those bolts and mounted my side guards to the canes and frame, so no, mine is no longer adjustable. The inside of the Agility back mounting hardware, under the cushion, has some minor angle adjustability as well.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    I neglected to take the caster axles out when doing my thread locker mania. Saw the circlip and thought that would be good. I k OW what I'm doing this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    To anyone with the new Aero Z and the single-sided fork, PLEASE do yourself a favor and go buy a few more of the E-style retaining clips. #17 on the diagram. They are 1/4" E-style black zinc. You can find these at Lowe's and inexpensive for the headache they can cause. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4-in-E-Clips/3050745

I received my Aero Z earlier this year and one of the rings popped off and I didn't know. A few days later I was pulling my frame out of the truck and transferred to the chair when the whole caster wheel came off. Luckily, it didn't happen when I was in the grocery store. I hopped back into the truck and put it together as tight as I could and went straight home, then to Lowe's. I put on the new one and dabbed both with some Loctite. I habitually check to make sure those rings are there so it doesn't happen again.

What did you use to fasten the side guards to the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I neglected to take the caster axles out when doing my thread locker mania. Saw the circlip and thought that would be good. I k OW what I'm doing this evening.
    That is a real nice chair Oddity.
    I would place odds that the Jeezuz clip was fitted incorrectly.

I am curious; is the axle threaded and the 'E' clip used to retain? Given the forces acting on that mono axle, an 'E' clip is not ideal IMO.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 08-10-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jscrog View Post
    What did you use to fasten the side guards to the frame?
    A couple 10x28 button head machine screws, a washer, and a nut. You can see them in the side guard pic. One is silver and one is black (what I had on hand). They are mounted through existing holes TiLite drills in both the frame (No idea why) and through the backrest cane (The lowest hole for the adjustable height backrest).

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Yeah, not bad for $200 out of pocket.

Yes, the axle is threaded into the fork tine. Mine now won't be coming out now. Until I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    That is a real nice chair Oddity.
    I would place odds that the Jeezuz clip was fitted incorrectly.

I am curious; is the axle threaded and the 'E' clip used to retain? Given the forces acting on that mono axle, an 'E' clip is not ideal IMO.

Blog Entries
    Here it is hanging from the same scale without all my crap in it:

And here it is without the wheels, how I lift it into the car. (RoHo itself weighs 3lbs on the same scale, so if I would also bother to remove that, well, you can do the math.)

I'm including these just as factual record of what an Aero Z configured like mine weighs. So much hype and B.S. online about chair weights we need more facts IMO.