Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Where do you find help for small jobs around the house?

  1. #11
    We've had lots of helpers over the years. On occasion had to "ghost" one or two. We've had two cleaning ladies for 10 years who come biweekly, but are totally willing to add other chores like window washing, overhauling/organizing a spare bedroom/storage room, etc. We pay them well even when they say 'no charge for that'.
    We don't have a good record for wheelchair repairs and have to call a DME who charges about $90 just for appearing. We're unable to do our own stuff anymore.
    Not easy to find an overall handyman so suggest excellent pay if you do.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    We don't have a good record for wheelchair repairs and have to call a DME who charges about $90 just for appearing. We're unable to do our own stuff anymore..
    Yikes! that is a shame. I am fortunate to have a bike repair guy in our valley who works from his van and comes to the house. His fees are reasonable. i can still do my basic maintenance, but when there is something other than wheel repair I want from him, I look for a video on youtube and show that to him. It is not unusual for me to roll out to lend advice, as he often thinks he knows when he does not. He takes advice well, though, so only a bit of time lost.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    It is not unusual for me to roll out to lend advice, as he often thinks he knows when he does not. He takes advice well, though, so only a bit of time lost.
    You're lucky. Many people who need instruction let their pride get in the way of accepting it.

  4. #14
    I have a cleaning lady and either she or her husband (or her kids!) happily do additional jobs as needed for the same rate as cleaning.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    You're lucky. Many people who need instruction let their pride get in the way of accepting it.
    Too true! Those people drive me crazy.

  6. #16
    Hope I'm not out of bounds for coming back to post from time to time on some more general topics.

    Since GJ passed just recently, friends and acquaintances have reminded me, NL it is okay to ask for help and you don't have to do it all. I haven't checked out these suggestions for myself. The daughter of a friend said the family found Task Rabbit invaluable for finding help with a wide range of odd jobs, when her mother passed away. There is probably more availability in metropolitan areas of the country. Another suggestion was searching for or posting what you are looking for on Nextdoor, a neighbor to neighbor social media website.
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-17-2019 at 05:47 PM.

  7. #17
    NL, I hope you continue to be a part of our CareCure Community. You are family.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    middle georgia
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    NL, I hope you continue to be a part of our CareCure Community. You are family.

    (KLD)
    can I third that you are aweome

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hope I'm not out of bounds for coming back to post from time to time on some more general topics.

    Since GJ passed just recently, friends and acquaintances have reminded me, NL it is okay to ask for help and you don't have to do it all. I haven't checked out these suggestion for myself. The daughter of a friend said the family found Task Rabbit invaluable for finding help with a wide range of odd jobs, when her mother passed away. There is probably more availability in metropolitan areas of the country. Another suggestion was searching for or posting what you are looking for on Nextdoor, a neighbor to neighbor social media website.
    That's a great resource, thank you for positing it.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,550
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    NL, I hope you continue to be a part of our CareCure Community. You are family.

    (KLD)
    Ditto, NL. Please stay with us.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM
  2. Trying to find a house, need advise
    By GoTWHeeLs in forum Housing and Home Design
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
  3. House rebuffs White House Plan to Cut Vocational Education Program
    By Wise Young in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 07:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:35 PM
  5. LIFE House helps spinal cord victims find independence
    By antiquity in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •