Thread: Working for the VA? Quota for disabled applicants?

Working for the VA? Quota for disabled applicants?

Howdy folks,

im interviewing for an actual real job after year and years and years of training. I found a VA job posting that is in my home town that I want to move back to. I know the VA is very bureaucratic, and they pay less than the average in my field (though more than enough to live on).

Are disabled applicants favored by the VA? I seem to remember posts on here about there being incentives and maybe even quotas for the federal government to hire disabled folks. Is that right?

i figure my disability is a slight disadvantage to most employers, but possibly an advantage in the eyes of VA interviewers?

if anyone Knows about VA hiring or has any advice regarding potential programs/etc that could help me get a job with them I?d appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks landrover, just what I’m looking for.

Also the very first section on that link makes it sound like you can’t apply for jobs that don’t have the little disabled guy link posted on them. Like I’m sure they’re not excluding people with disabilities from applying, but that sure is how it seems the way it is written.

YES! To the federal governemnt.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Howdy folks,

im interviewing for an actual real job after year and years and years of training. I found a VA job posting that is in my home town that I want to move back to. I know the VA is very bureaucratic, and they pay less than the average in my field (though more than enough to live on).

Are disabled applicants favored by the VA? I seem to remember posts on here about there being incentives and maybe even quotas for the federal government to hire disabled folks. Is that right?

i figure my disability is a slight disadvantage to most employers, but possibly an advantage in the eyes of VA interviewers?

if anyone Knows about VA hiring or has any advice regarding potential programs/etc that could help me get a job with them I?d appreciate your thoughts.
    If this is a federal position you must check the box that declares you have a disability. The federal government is the only employer you must disclose you have a disability because you are brought aboard by a different hiring authority. If it is a federal position the federal government will be very flexible with your hiring needs such as you need not to be at work exactly at 8:30 a.m.

The U.S. Department of Labor has tools for people with disabilities called, "Customized Employment." You can get First40 work schedule or flex-time and all adaptive equipment you need such as a work station/cubical, etc.

The federal government wants to be the model employer for people with disabilities. You will advance quickly. Quotas? President Obama increased the federal work force to be 7% for people with disabilities and we are not there to this day. We are under that at NASA.

I've been with NASA going on 27 years and not one day is a dull moment. I even telecommute. Show your red, white and blue!

Any question? Please ask.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    If this is a federal position you must check the box that declares you have a disability. The federal government is the only employer you must disclose you have a disability because you are brought aboard by a different hiring authority. If it is a federal position the federal government will be very flexible with your hiring needs such as you need not to be at work exactly at 8:30 a.m.

The U.S. Department of Labor has tools for people with disabilities called, "Customized Employment." You can get First40 work schedule or flex-time and all adaptive equipment you need such as a work station/cubical, etc.

The federal government wants to be the model employer for people with disabilities. You will advance quickly. Quotas? President Obama increased the federal work force to be 7% for people with disabilities and we are not there to this day. We are under that at NASA.

I've been with NASA going on 27 years and not one day is a dull moment. I even telecommute. Show your red, white and blue!

Any question? Please ask.

Ti

Thanks for your insights, Ti

I guess I'm not sure what would technically make this a federal position. I assume the VA is considered the federal government, but I found this through some jobs website just like all the other jobs I'm looking for (none of the others are with any kind of government agency).

To be honest, being "brought aboard by a different hiring authority" sounds like enough of a pain that I wouldn't bother. My field is very understaffed and employers are begging pleading and offering ridiculously large sign on bonuses. The VA being a government agency I'm sure has great benefits, but pays a solid 20% less than the median wage. They also do a weird thing where they pay based on experience and extra training (none of which I have) so I'd be at the bottom of an already low pay scale. Whereas other employers pay the exact same for a new grad as someone with 30 years of experience because we all bring in the same amount of revenue regardless of experience.

There isnt really room for advancement in my field, I mean I guess you could move into administration, but I don't want anything to do with advancement.

It could be cool to get some adaptive equipment, but other than a desk that works for me in my chair I can't imagine anything else I would really need regardless of where I go.

Telecommuting is an option in lots of private sectors as well as the VA for both disabled and able bodied employees alike, but that's not something I'm interested in the moment.

What is a "First40 work schedule"? I googled that one and didn't find any clear results. I think any significant change in hours for me would require them to keep a huge building and half dozen employees also there after normal business hours, which seems like an "undue burden".

I'll probably throw in an application through regular channels and go see what they've got going on.

NASA Glenn Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Thanks for your insights, Ti

I guess I'm not sure what would technically make this a federal position. I assume the VA is considered the federal government, but I found this through some jobs website just like all the other jobs I'm looking for (none of the others are with any kind of government agency).

To be honest, being "brought aboard by a different hiring authority" sounds like enough of a pain that I wouldn't bother. My field is very understaffed and employers are begging pleading and offering ridiculously large sign on bonuses. The VA being a government agency I'm sure has great benefits, but pays a solid 20% less than the median wage. They also do a weird thing where they pay based on experience and extra training (none of which I have) so I'd be at the bottom of an already low pay scale. Whereas other employers pay the exact same for a new grad as someone with 30 years of experience because we all bring in the same amount of revenue regardless of experience.

There isnt really room for advancement in my field, I mean I guess you could move into administration, but I don't want anything to do with advancement.

It could be cool to get some adaptive equipment, but other than a desk that works for me in my chair I can't imagine anything else I would really need regardless of where I go.

Telecommuting is an option in lots of private sectors as well as the VA for both disabled and able bodied employees alike, but that's not something I'm interested in the moment.

What is a "First40 work schedule"? I googled that one and didn't find any clear results. I think any significant change in hours for me would require them to keep a huge building and half dozen employees also there after normal business hours, which seems like an "undue burden".

I'll probably throw in an application through regular channels and go see what they've got going on.
    "A special hiring authority." simple means you don't have to lift Xlbs, take and pass a physical, be in at exactly 8:30 a.m., dress code, etc. This hiring authority give you the right to require workplace modifications out of the employer's pocket or agency's budget not yours. Your are hired because you have a disability and may require workplace modifications, that's all.

The federal government has become more family oriented by adjusting work schedules. If you need to drive your child to school or day care you will not be penalized. There are different type of work schedules in the federal government; maxi-flex, flex-time, normal, First40. First40 is a work schedule where the first 40 hours of work is your work week. You may want to work four 10 hours days and that is your work week.

It is important to checking that box that states you have a disability especially and most importantly with the federal government. Any other employer I would not. Even though it is almost 2020 and we have the ADA I still strongly believe there is discrimination toward people with disabilities for employment.

The federal government has a lot of great benefits, paid college and university training, health insurance 50/50, life insurance and those federal holidays off paid plus your regular earned leave and sick leave. Big brother will take very good care of you.

For others reading this thread go to www.usajobs.gov and apply.

Any questions anybody? Please ask. As I said before I have worked for the federal government for 27 years and there's never been a dull moment. The federal government would be the only employer a person with a disability should apply for in there local area.

The day that spark of energy is distinguished as I drive down Aerospace Parkway is the day I put in my retirement papers until then we got to get the first woman on the Moon by 2024 then off to Mars! My official retirement day is when we land boot on Mars until then we got a lot of research, testing and development that needs to be done.

Life is good!

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.