Thread: Magnets for wound healing/pressure relief

Blog Entries

Magnets for wound healing/pressure relief

I have run out of sides. My left thigh ? pelvis joint has a blister. The outside of my right butt hurts deep inside. A LAL matches didn?t work for me. I am either to light or too cold, and on the dolphin I feel like I am lying on concrete. (Any idea for getting the best price for it?) I normally do okay on my Roho mattress topper, but I think I?m getting too atrophied and seeing these signs a breakdown, not really relieved even when I?m in my chair. So I?ve been looking at air fluidized mattresses, which are a problematic solution for a number of reasons, not least of which being insufficient doorway width to get one into the house, expense, and partnering limitations (how will I will ever find a guy strong enough to carry me around if he has to fit with me in a 39 inch wide bed?).

So I saw a post about a magnetic pulsar device. I can?t find it now, maybe because it mentioned a specific product. But does anyone know if such technology would help me, while I still am only stage II I think. Could I use it prophylactically an continue using my role mattress topper?

Is there any research on the value of magnetic therapy for wounds, any chance insurance would pay?

Sorry to hear what you’ve been going through... that sucks.

My parents used to sell magnets that were supposed to have all kinds of health benefits. Unfortunately there is no evidence at all that they do anything. And I certainly hope no insurance company covers them.

WebMD has a short article on different forms of magnet therapy, none of which have been studied extensively or proven reliable https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...erapy-overview. I spent a small fortune in the 1990s on magnetic mattresses, pillows and insoles, as there was a lot of hype in those days related to magnets' ability to reduce pain, improve sleep and hasten wound healing. Total waste of time and money. Pulsed magnetic signals (as opposed to static magnetic devices) are currently being studied in relation to migraine headaches, but as far as I know, no definite conclusions have been reached.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

When I was injured, among other things, I broke my femur at both ends. Months later X-rays revealed very little bone healing.
    The orthopedist wanted to open me up and put shafts inside the bone; we insisted on getting second opinions, an a recommended oath suggested electro-magnetic bone stimulation as a non-invasive option. My orthodontist thought it was bullshit, but ordered the device and I started wearing it.

Two weeks later I had a visit & X ray. The bone man held it to his ceiling light and his immediate comment was "Holy shit, look at all that callus! Some of my associates should see this."
    Nice to have a doctor who admits fallibility.

I don't know if there's a similar wound device, but I'd find out. If there is a prescription required it may very well be good. The device had a small battery pack and electronics with a wire leading to the electromagnet which was around a nine inch ring, pliable, that could be conformed to the body over the pants.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Bone stimulator has been around and used for many years however I know of no research to show it helps with pain or pressure ulcers.

And you need to look at the specific device.
    If it does they should have references on their website showing research.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Magnets.
    One of my favorite magnet stories is about the most-often cited magnetic fields study that dates back a few decades. In that study they showed the mice would stop copulating above a certain magnitude of magnetic field. The funny part is that, in the era that the paper was published, the only way to generate fields of such magnitude was to bring electromagnet poles within about an inch of one another. So a mouse won't copulate if held between two magnet poles like a vise.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

The term to look up is PEMF (pulsed electro-magnetic field) in your research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24395219

Reduced collagen deposition possibly leads to slow recovery of tensile strength in the healing process of diabetic cutaneous wounds. Myofibroblasts are transiently present during wound healing and play a key role in wound closure and collagen synthesis. Pulsed electromagnetic fields (PEMF) have been shown to enhance the tensile strength of diabetic wounds. In this study, we examined the effect of PEMF on wound closure and the presence of myofibroblasts in Sprague-Dawley rats after diabetic induction using streptozotocin. A full-thickness square-shaped dermal wound (2 cm ? 2 cm) was excised aseptically on the shaved dorsum. The rats were randomly divided into PEMF-treated (5 mT, 25 Hz, 1 h daily) and control groups. The results indicated that there were no significant differences between the groups in blood glucose level and body weight. However, PEMF treatment significantly enhanced wound closure (days 10 and 14 post-wounding) and re-epithelialization (day 10 post-wounding), although these improvements were no longer observed at later stages of the wound healing process. Using immunohistochemistry against α-smooth muscle actin (α-SMA), we demonstrated that significantly more myofibroblasts were detected on days 7 and 10 post-wounding in the PEMF group when compared to the control group. We hypothesized that PEMF would increase the myofibroblast population, contributing to wound closure during diabetic wound healing.
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

For what it is worth..., my son had great repair by e-stimming the buttock muscle under which the skin breakdown occurred. It has been many years, so I don't remember details, but it was easy to see significant change in 3 day blocks. He used the stim unit bought for his hands. If I remember correctly it was used in the morning only, but certainly no more than twice a day. Enough stim to see the muscle rise and fall was sufficient and i think it was done for no more than 15 minute duration. It was based on the fact that athletes do this all the time for many types of injury. He would have used this where ever he had an injury with a muscle below to increase circulation. Good luck with your efforts.