Thread: Urostomy-Stoma -- *Help,,,???

Urostomy-Stoma -- *Help,,,???

Hi,,,,,

This past July 3rd I had a cysectomy, still recovering but coming along [health-wise] fine. Obviously I now have a stoma which I'm fine with and is not the problem itself. It is the bag-[that I have connected to a leg-bag/on thigh] to flow. I'm a C-4/5, so yes I have medium ''quad belly.''

Set up: Collection bag-[empty valve sits/reaches right under my pants waist band area,,,,,,,,,,I attached a tube that connects to a leg-bag on my thigh.

Problem: If I lay flat in my bed urine flows fine. However when I'm sitting upright in my powerchair I'm having very little success getting it to flow to work. I continuously am trying different placement of the out-put valve, my waist band, the tube angle.

Yes the ostomy clinic but have yet to workout the matter. SCI Nurse or Anyone with experience,,,,,,, **Please Suggestions--Advice,,,,,,,,??????

Thank you,
    Freej//John --- *Move to a different forum if needed.
    Last edited by FREEJ; 08-05-2019 at 08:28 PM.

I cut a small hole in my pants, several inches down from the waistband, and bring the leg bag tube up through the hole and connect it to the collection bag. The collection bag stays outside my pants. I just wear a long shirt to cover it. Good luck
    Last edited by quadvet; 08-06-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks Quadvet,,,, But I'm trying to ave the collection bag [by way of a 4'' tube] connected to my legbag//on thigh. The main problem is when I sit upright in my chair,,,,my pants waistband naturally tightens and cuts off any flow----ugghh. I''ll keep trying.

I have the same problem . I found , a little looser waist fitting pants , Twist bag on inside of leg , waist of pants underneath stoma on top ofcource far as you can . Nine always flows , if not its always where is starts into leg bag its held up.Make sure its not stopping there .

Were you marked for your stoma placement by the ostomy nurse while sitting up in your chair? This is a very important procedure to avoid problems like this. Modifying your slacks or wearing a looser waist band many be the only way to manage this now.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.