Thread: Weakened immune system post-injury?

Question Weakened immune system post-injury?

We've been away for the week, and the SO started getting a fever on Friday evening. He still has a fever today (it's now Sunday afternoon). It's 39.5 C currently. I was really worried it was a kidney infection, but his urine has been very clear, smelling fine, and he doesn't have pelvic pain. Either way, we went to a walk-in clinic today and they said his urine is okay.

The Doctor said a flu is going around, and looked at his throat and said it's very red and inflamed (although he feels no pain there). He was given penicillin for a week. No swabs were done. He noticed his stool was an orange-is colour today.

Meanwhile, I'm fine, feeling absolutely no illness. I was wondering if perhaps his immune system isn't very strong right now, so he's picking things up that I'm not? We were in the pool 3 times this week. He's barely functioning today.

I'm also wondering why he'd be given antibiotics for a flu? I'm concerned about all this resistance talk.

Not sure why you were given antibiotics for flu which is primarily a virus.
    I would recommend to get a full exam and blood work especially with that high a temperature
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.