Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium citrate? How to use?

Magnesium citrate? How to use?

As a cleanser, magnesium citrate has been recommended to me for me from the doctor. After numerous various medications used to reduce constipation ? I?m hesitant before taking it. Has anyone had any experience or recommendations on how best to use the supplement and time it appropriately?

I've used it just one time because I was severely backed up from a hospital stay. Bought a 12 oz. (I think that was the size) from Shoprite. It was their brand. Drank the whole bottle, took me about a half hour. Not too bad drinking it, had much worse. It took about an hour or two before the action started. It certainly worked and cleaned me out. I probably could of drank a half bottle and got the same result.

I've taken magnesium citrate tablets as a vitamin supplement on and off for about six years. They aren't as harsh for a full clean out but they do seem to help retain water in the bowel and help keep things chugging along.

I think you can get them at a better price if you go to a pharmacy or health food store.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Magnes.../dp/B012T97SDQ

Hey thank you. I picked up the tablets. If you had a 7:30 AM program – what time would you take them to ensure or reduce incidents of incontinence?

In terms of "action"; was it two hours of movement or more like four? Have had pretty much nonstop G.I. issues and do everything I can to reduce the pain, aberrant bloating and constipation. Never had to deal with it for over a decade and 1/2 of injury. Now almost daily issue.

I recommend it if people are extremely constipated- a rescue medication
    i don not recommend it for routine bowel programs
    If you need a strong laxative try miralax or lactulose
    regular program equals regular results
    pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    In terms of "action"; was it two hours of movement or more like four? Have had pretty much nonstop G.I. issues and do everything I can to reduce the pain, aberrant bloating and constipation. Never had to deal with it for over a decade and 1/2 of injury. Now almost daily issue.
    All I remember is if I had to use it again that I wouldn't plan on doing anything for the day/night. Other than taking care of the business.

I agree with Rusty, stay near the throne. DO NOT TAKE PRIOR TO GETTING IN BED. When it starts to work, it WORKS. It was explosive for me the 1 time I used it (pre injury). Had to jump in shower due to back splash. A few swigs from bottle was all I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Hey thank you. I picked up the tablets. If you had a 7:30 AM program – what time would you take them to ensure or reduce incidents of incontinence?
    Chaz I didn't mean to mislead you. I take mag citrate tabs daily to stay regular, every other day, but not as a laxative.

If you need laxative advice to use instructions by posters above.

I have the capsules. Thinking 6am w/water. Hope to be free around 10.