Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kidney Stone Removal Procedure

I had my stones removed this morning I was home by the afternoon. Everything went well I feel great.

Had mine removed Thursday I feel so much better one had dropped into my bladder. I have a stent that I would pull out In a week. Right after waking up from the procedure I could tell the relief and pain was gone . This about my 3rd time along with 3 stents.

If the urethra is swollen most likely due to infection which the antibioitcs should help and just healing. The scrotal area (epidydymis/testicles_ usually have dependent edema and if infected might need a longer course of antibioitcs and if stay swollen probably needs a scrotal ultrasound if not already done. Urinary tract infection is a common cause of prostatitis (prostate gland) and epididymitis. Does he get Autonomic dysreflexia? We usually admit SCI pts. for at least 1-2 days afterwards.. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Not all stones can be removed with lithotripsy (ESWL). This may be true of struvite stones, which are common in those with SCI, esp. if you use indwelling catheters. Struvite stones are mushy and can't be broken up with ESWL.

Stones in the bladder or ureter can often be removed by cystoscopic procedures, including grabbing and pulling out, crushing, or blasting with a laser. Kidney stones rarely can be removed this way as it is difficult to get the cystoscope all the way up the ureter. Some will place a nephrostomy tube into the kidney from the skin on the side of your body, and irrigate the renal pelvis with a solution designed to dissolve stones, in hopes that they may get small enough to slip down the ureter. This can take a long time though, and doesn't always work. Open renal surgery may be needed if the stone is large or is clearly damaging the kidney.

I would also agree that epididymitis must be ruled out as a cause of the scrotal swelling. This infection of the testicles is fairly common in men with SCI, and can turn into a septicemia or testicular abscess if not treated with antibiotics soon enough.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.