Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tilite chair feedback

New Tilite chair feedback

I am in the process of getting a new Tilite wheelchair (this will be my second wheelchair, my first years ago was a KiMobility catalyst 5, that had too many moving parts).

I met with a seating clinic, and a Tilite rep was there as well. I requested a ZRA, have not yet placed the order and I'm now having some doubts if that is the right choice.

About me:
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Little core balance/strength
    No use of legs, and leg contractors
    Limited arm/hand function
    Not very active, nor independent, when out I am with my husband who pushes me
    Spasm/spasticity sensitivity

Questions:
    - Is the main difference between the ZR versus TR series the mono or dual tubing?

- Is the main difference between mono versus dual that dual tubing provides more durability of the chair and is a bit lighter? And mono tubing has a more simplistic look?

- The DME ordered an AEL harness and Bodypoint hip belt to help with posture/core positioning. Will the hip belt keep me from sliding forward during times when I do not use the harness? Additionally I have seen people using what I call "wings" that attach to the wheelchair brackets on both sides of the backrest that basically function as a harness but I'm not sure what they're called. Does anyone know what these are called as I think that would benefit me more than a harness that will need to be attached each time.

- A custom Ride backrest and a Java cushion was chosen to assist with my posture/spine positioning. Any feedback Re:: Ride?

- Titanium and pneumonic tires were chosen to address spasticity/spasm sensitivity.

- For the hand rims, would the Surge or Q-grip be a recommended choice with limited arm/hand function?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I had or have a ride cushion and just a warning if you worry about pressure do not use one , it helped with my posture and keeping my tail bone up but it’s very hard and was worst for me in long run so if pressure is at all worried about save the headache and get a roho. I use a bra-new tilight zra with every carbonfiber add on if that makes a difference

Your ZRA choice gives you some latitude for adjustment after receiving the chair. Adjustable is what the "A" might stand for, missing in the TR and ZR.
    Dump will help with sliding forward, the ZRA has some adjustment for it. Ask about it. Sorry I don't know about those wings.

Titanium might not help much at lower speeds, but pneumatic tires are great shock absorbents if not carried at too high a pressure. Lower pressure makes pushing harder is the downside.
    I have both Surge and Q-Grips or something similar to Q-Grips. Q-Grips or similar on fat push rims mounted on full length tabs are my preference any day.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    Op,
    Never take anecdotes on the internet, from one person's experience, as truth when it comes to medical advice.

The fact is Ride cushions have saved people from pressure sores that happened while sitting on RoHo cushions.

Everyone is different and only a trained and certified medical professional (typically a PhD. OT or PT using evidence based diagnostic techniques and equipment) can say with any degree of confidence what cushion is right for any individual.

Ride cushions are not bad. They are only bad for some people. RoHo cushions aren't good. They're only good for some people.

Don't take anecdotes as advice when it comes to medical necessity for YOUR needs. See a professional and get mapped on lots of seating options, that way you'll get what YOU need for manging BOTH pressure and posture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie630 View Post
    I had or have a ride cushion and just a warning if you worry about pressure do not use one , it helped with my posture and keeping my tail bone up but it?s very hard and was worst for me in long run so if pressure is at all worried about save the headache and get a roho. I use a bra-new tilight zra with every carbonfiber add on if that makes a difference
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Op,
    Never take anecdotes on the internet, from one person's experience, as truth when it comes to medical advice.

The fact is Ride cushions have saved people from pressure sores that happened while sitting on RoHo cushions.

Everyone is different and only a trained and certified medical professional (typically a PhD. OT or PT using evidence based diagnostic techniques and equipment) can say with any degree of confidence what cushion is right for any individual.

Ride cushions are not bad. They are only bad for some people. RoHo cushions aren't good. They're only good for some people.

Don't take anecdotes as advice when it comes to medical necessity for YOUR needs. See a professional and get mapped on lots of seating options, that way you'll get what YOU need for manging BOTH pressure and posture.
    I'll second this. I switched to a Ride cushion (Java) years ago because of a pressure sore with a Roho. It works the best for ME, in my everyday chair. I still use Roho cushions for other applications though.

Thanks much, great information.

Any feedback on selecting mono versus dual tubing?

nonoise,
    Fat (wider) push rims with full length tabs? I googled and didn't see a good explanation. Can you provide more on them? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesnow View Post

nonoise,
    Fat (wider) push rims with full length tabs? I googled and didn't see a good explanation. Can you provide more on them? Thanks.
    Thus is interesting to me. I have both what I call fat and skinny vinyl covered hand rims. The skinny ones bug me, but since they are covered there is that advantage since they don't sweat coming out of an air conditioned store and are warmer in winter as I push bare handed. So I measured the fat set and then my wife measured the skinny one. Fat was 7/8 inch while skinny was 3/4 inch. She remeasured, still 3/4 inch. I'll check that number later. I do recall being offered one inch hand rims at the Magic Wheels factory when I bought the Magic Wheels. I choose Surge instead as that was the new kid on the block. Since I know one inch is also out there somewhere but seems too fat, I googled it for starters and got the following info which helps explain tabs instead: https://wheelchairparts.net/vinyl-coated-handrims/ Oh, here is a better picture of the tabs: https://www.sportaid.com/coated-hand...ment-type.html I will still look for something on fatness, it's not making sense nothing is coming up. (edit, see next post)

So look at the tabs and notice there are two holes for mounting. I believe most people like short tabs which closes the gap between the rim and wheel. And usually the end of the tab has been cut off leaving only one hole for mounting. Chances are you have short tabs now and do not know if you would prefer long tabs. You can always go from long to short later if the tabs have not been cut off. It does require dismounting the tire though.
    Last edited by nonoise; 08-04-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

nonoise,
    I think I now know about the fat stuff. First the 7/8 inch vinyl rims are recoats and I think they are probably a skimpy redo of the originals. They even feel thin. All my other vinyl rims are fatter, probably 7/8 inch which is likely just a coating over a standard rim. So here is a website that explains all of this. Again I have seen those one inch push rims, I think the coating added to the one inch. They seemed *big*.
    http://www.melrosewheelchairs.com/in...8dedd8fd70853f

I have both a ZRa and a TR. According to TiLite the TRa is around half a pound heavier than a ZRa, but that is just the frame. I think the TR maybe a little more rigid but I can't really tell. But the balance of the TR when transferring it in to the car is much better for me and I assume the TRa would be the same. So it's really a matter of choice. As long as you get an adjustable frame you'll probably be fine.

- The DME ordered an AEL harness and Bodypoint hip belt to help with posture/core positioning. Will the hip belt keep me from sliding forward during times when I do not use the harness? Additionally I have seen people using what I call "wings" that attach to the wheelchair brackets on both sides of the backrest that basically function as a harness but I'm not sure what they're called. Does anyone know what these are called as I think that would benefit me more than a harness that will need to be attached each time.

- A custom Ride backrest and a Java cushion was chosen to assist with my posture/spine positioning. Any feedback Re:: Ride?

Those wings are, I think, 'lateral supports' which go at the side of the torso. The Ride Custom backrest would have lateral support included in it, and then the harness could be worn additionally part or full time. Do you fall forwards or find it hard to stay sitting up for a period of time? Maybe ask the person who recommended it why they think it is necessary for you?