Thread: Google home mini set up on Windows 7 laptop.

Google home mini set up on Windows 7 laptop.

I was looking for some direction from anyone who has set up a Google Home Mini via a laptop. I did not use a smart phone. I did read that you would utilize a emulator and a popular one listed is Blue Stacks.
    I would appreciate any help. My computers skills are very limited, which becomes frustrating in this modern day. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tinern View Post
    I was looking for some direction from anyone who has set up a Google Home Mini via a laptop. I did not use a smart phone. I did read that you would utilize a emulator and a popular one listed is Blue Stacks.
    I would appreciate any help. My computers skills are very limited, which becomes frustrating in this modern day. Thank you in advance.
    might try...

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7029485

https://www.digitbin.com/android-emulator-pc/ I found this very helpful.

The issues with emulators; adware and most suck up a lot of ram. Also need to enable "virtualization" in bios (easy to do >IF< your cpu will allow it, mine wouldn't).
    MEmu emulator will enable virtualization for you (if possible) but you will get adware warning from your antivirus (if you have a good AV). Will have to select "allow" when/if you get warning.
    If MEmu doesn't work, most likely your cpu won't allow "virtualization".

A lot of review sites recommend Blue Stacks. I found an independent review site that gave it 1 1/2 stars. There are companies that are paid to give positive reviews so keep that in mind.

I got an older Smart phone from my daughter, not for phone use but for the Google Mini. Bummed out, it has Android version 4.1.2. Google Mini requires Android version 5 or better.
    Tons of out of date phones out there that folks will give away. Just ensure it's Android 5 or higher. I dislike smart phones due to they are fragile and my hand function causes the "dropsies".
    Despite that, I will be looking for another phone, a freeby, solely for the Mini.

The hint your system, phone, or tablet will give you as to whether or not it will work with the Mini is this: if you can or cannot find the Home App. If you can't find it in Google App Store, your system is telling you it's not compatible.

I've used LeapDroid emulator for a few years now and I haven't had many problems with it. The company went out of the emulator business and no longer distributes it but I could email it if anyone needs it.

Actually its still available to download online.

Use BlueStacks emulator to listen to books on tape from the Library of Congress, i.e. the Bard application.

Works fine for me. Don't know why it would not work as an emulator for other applications.

Install it, load the app and see if it works. If not just uninstall and no harm done.