Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smart Drive

Smart Drive

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Smart Drive MX2+, less than 2hrs use, used a dozen times or less. Wristband, max mobility carrying case with molded base, thumb throttle buttons (new in package). $2500 OBO and actual ship costs.

may i ask why your seling it im at10 para and im going in for an eval on one
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    may i ask why your seling it im at10 para and im going in for an eval on one
    It's not easy for me to get it on the mount because of the design of my chair. It works well on a flat smooth uninterrupted surface, but it's dead in the water offroad on grass and gravel. I don't use it and it's been sitting in the closet gathering dust since last summer, might as well sell it. Hopefully one of the alternative propulsion devices will be on the market soon and try that out. Go do your eval, you might love the smartdrive, but I would suggest you practice hooking it on the mount more than a few times during your eval.
    Last edited by giles88; 07-27-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    It's not easy for me to get it on the mount because of the design of my chair. It works well on a flat smooth uninterrupted surface, but it's dead in the water offroad on grass and gravel. I don't use it and it's been sitting in the closet gathering dust since last summer, might as well sell it. Hopefully one of the alternative propulsion devices will on the market soon and try that out. Go do your eval, you might love the smartdrive, but I would suggest you practice hooking it on the mount more than a few times during your eval.
    I have a SmartDrive as well which I got at no cost through my insurance. Have only used it a handful times for those occasions when I knew I'd need to get up steep grades. Like you I've not come close to mastering mounting the SD while sitting in my chair (TiLite TR). Maybe my COG is too far forward for me to get better access, I don't know. I haven't spent hours trying to master the technique but it's not easy peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I have a SmartDrive as well which I got at no cost through my insurance. Have only used it a handful times for those occasions when I knew I'd need to get up steep grades. Like you I've not come close to mastering mounting the SD while sitting in my chair (TiLite TR). Maybe my COG is too far forward for me to get better access, I don't know. I haven't spent hours trying to master the technique but it's not easy peasy.
    I had my O.T. and the ATP guy actually sit in my chair and hook the smartdrive on and off the mount. Both agreed it was not easy, the ATP who was an older person found it particularly difficult. So, it's not just you or lack of technique.

Are there a lot of situations where you need to mount it while sitting in the chair?

i don’t have one, but am thinking more and more about getting one. I always assumed one would take the smarts drive off after getting out of the chair. Can’t really imagine reaching way back there while sitting in it!

Blog Entries
    Ive only been farting around with one for a couple weeks, but I haven't found a need to mount seated yet. I do mount it seated, because I can, but I could easily just transfer to the edge of the bed or a chair and mount it. When traveling outside the home, I put it on before transferring from car seat to chair.

That said, it isn't terribly easy to mount from the chair. I use a full length mirror so I can see what I'm doing. My trouble is lining it up on the mount bar without seeing it. It's not hard for me to reach, just to line up perfectly and quickly. It only mounts at a specific angle (perfectly parallel to the floor and perpendicular to the camber tube).

Ive got it mostly down now, though. I rest it on the camber tube and slide it until it touches the mount, then lift and slide it the final couple inches until it drops onto the mount bar. Works maybe 3 of 5 times first try. Not great but not perfect either. The higher the injury the more difficult, of that I'm sure. I have decent trunk control.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Are there a lot of situations where you need to mount it while sitting in the chair?

i don?t have one, but am thinking more and more about getting one. I always assumed one would take the smarts drive off after getting out of the chair. Can?t really imagine reaching way back there while sitting in it!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy one based on it being not immediately easy to attach from the seated position, especially at this good of a price for a virtually unused unit. A quad might struggle no matter what, but for anyone with full arm function attaching it prior to transferring is easy peasy, IMO.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy one based on it being not immediately easy to attach from the seated position, especially at this good of a price for a virtually unused unit. A quad might struggle no matter what, but for anyone with full arm function attaching it prior to transferring is easy peasy, IMO.

and hard telling when the propulse will come out and be insurance approved
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I, too, was very concerned about my ability to attach the thing to the chair. Medicare is giving them out like candy to long-time wheelchair users, so I bet there are a number for sale on E Bay. I own a Firefly. I like it but it is so difficult to load and unload in my care I do not use it independently. It is modestly functional on gravel and grass but I take it into challenging situations only if i am with an AB person. I love it for moving carefree, since the front wheel is 10 inches you do not worry at all about small obstructions or pavement irregularities.

The DME and I worked out a way to attach a pulley wheel where my drop down handle now sits above the driver's door of my car. This will allow me to get the SD in and out of my passenger seat without hurting my shoulders. i'm a quad and not particularly strong.

I would not buy a Smart Drive on my own dime. On medicare, yes. The DME gets an easy $2000, I get the unit, and me the taxpayer shrieks in indignation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    and hard telling when the propulse will come out and be insurance approved
    Well, true, but we can count on ~2 years from whenever it's commercially available until it's FDA approved, based on what the ProPulse guys said. I'm rooting for them, to be sure, but not counting on them.