Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacifica and hand controls

Quote Originally Posted by miltongm09 View Post
    I'm planning on ROLLX. I heard VMI changes the suspension and it looks like it. Don't like Braun at all.
    How is the ground clearance on a ROLLX vans? I have a 2014 VMI Sienna and have never scraped the bottom on anything.

When my Sienna / Featherlite combo was setup I put the wheel where I liked it and they worked around that. There’s a cover over the adjuster handle now. Given how the Featherlite’s mount to the fixed portion of the column I think it’s feasible the wheel could still move and not affect the controls.

It is better than my Odyssey but don't know exact measurement. Will check and let you know. I believe the VMI does something with the suspension giving that extra height. The ROLLX Pacifica seemed to ride better than the VMI. Tried both.

It is better than my Odyssey but don't know exact measurement. Will check and let you know. I believe the VMI does something with the suspension giving that extra height. The ROLLX Pacifica seemed to ride better than the VMI. Tried both.
    I had a ROLLX conversion from 1996-2001. All I remember is having to replace the exhaust all the time from scrapping over things. The VMI definitely modifies the suspension. I liked the way the Braun conversion drove but their ground clearance isn't as good as the VMI.

Plan on buying a Pacifica. One question I hope someone has an answer to. Do you eliminate the ability to use the telescoping and tilt due to hand controls? That happened with my Odyssey. If they are in a fixed position can the telescoping be fixed in fully extended? Thanks
    I many cases (but not all) the wheel is put in a specific location not to be moved once the hand controls are installed.

It all comes down to fitting you and the controls your licensed to drive with to the vehicle.

You should be asking your installer these questions.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I had a ROLLX conversion from 1996-2001. All I remember is having to replace the exhaust all the time from scrapping over things. The VMI definitely modifies the suspension. I liked the way the Braun conversion drove but their ground clearance isn't as good as the VMI.
    I'm a bit surprised by that. Prior to my current Braun Pacifica, I had a Braun Sienna. It bottomed out on EVERYTHING! Like you, I had to replace my exhaust system on a few occasions. My Pacifica is so much better in that regard. As a matter of fact, I can't recall it scraping since I've owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    We have a 2009 RollX and would be hard pressed to purchase a RollX again. We had to buy multiple sets of tires (at around 25-30,000miles) during the lifetime of the vehicle....that was our first clue that something was wrong and had the suspension tightened up but still many problems. It all came to a head when we were heading out of town and experienced a total failure of the rear suspension. Luckily, we were going at a slow speed close to home when it happened and not in the middle of nowhere going 70+ with a powerchair on board.

Was it a one off? A bad egg? Don't know. It was a really scary experience and we are currently looking at a Pacifica too....most likely VMI.

sounds like yours was better than some of the ones we have seen.

we've seen the rear suspension fall apart in less than 8k mi and vans you can't align.

I've also seen vans that would eat the front tires in less than 6k miles.

its pretty sad if your first stop on a test drive should be to a good (usually hard to find one) alignment shop and see if the van is even able to be within factory specifications.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    sounds like yours was better than some of the ones we have seen.

we've seen the rear suspension fall apart in less than 8k mi and vans you can't align.

I've also seen vans that would eat the front tires in less than 6k miles.

its pretty sad if your first stop on a test drive should be to a good (usually hard to find one) alignment shop and see if the van is even able to be within factory specifications.

Are you referring to ROLLX vans? Would be very interested to know.
    Last edited by miltongm09; 08-05-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Are you referring to ROLLX vans? Would be very interested to know.

yes.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I'm a bit surprised by that. Prior to my current Braun Pacifica, I had a Braun Sienna. It bottomed out on EVERYTHING! Like you, I had to replace my exhaust system on a few occasions. My Pacifica is so much better in that regard. As a matter of fact, I can't recall it scraping since I've owned it.
    I guess the only way to test the ground clearance on the VMI and Braun conversions is to test drive them both. I will be doing so very soon.