Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vesicare? Or something else for bladder urgency.

Vesicare? Or something else for bladder urgency.

Lately, I?ve been noticing my sense of urgency has worsened, as well as cathing at times when I?ve much less than I can typically hold. My doctor originally wanted me to try an analgesic because he suspected maybe it was irritation. I requested Vesicare. I know it may take more than a week or two to fully work, but unsure if the three days I?ve been on it so far has been effective.

Is this part of aging with a spinal cord injury? I think I already cathe more often than many regularly do, having to do it more often due to being unable to hold more seems as if it?s not a good option.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you correct it?

Hey Todd,

Not sure if it's a "normal" part of aging with sci, but it has hit me big time too. I started a thread about bladder augmentation, as I have gone thru the same journey you're talking about. I use Vesicare, Botox, and still can only hold about 225cc before I pee on myself, it is infuriating. My bladder has continually shrunk over the years and it sucks.

Both Vesicare and Botox help "some" and at this low a volume, I'll take any help I can get. You may have to run the gamut of the various bladder meds to find one that actually works for you, I had many that didn't do squat, unfortunately there is no roadmap to find out what works.

Botox helped greatly at first, then gradually faded, now not so much. But enough to keep doing it, plus you get a "free" bladder scoping out of it every time.

Wish I had better news/ideas to type out, I feel your pain. Good luck on the path...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

suprapubic cured my problems.

the Easy Button. 1,000mL leg bag set me free!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Hey Todd,

Not sure if it's a "normal" part of aging with sci, but it has hit me big time too. I started a thread about bladder augmentation, as I have gone thru the same journey you're talking about. I use Vesicare, Botox, and still can only hold about 225cc before I pee on myself, it is infuriating. My bladder has continually shrunk over the years and it sucks.

Both Vesicare and Botox help "some" and at this low a volume, I'll take any help I can get. You may have to run the gamut of the various bladder meds to find one that actually works for you, I had many that didn't do squat, unfortunately there is no roadmap to find out what works.

Botox helped greatly at first, then gradually faded, now not so much. But enough to keep doing it, plus you get a "free" bladder scoping out of it every time.

Wish I had better news/ideas to type out, I feel your pain. Good luck on the path...
    That was a theory I had had. For the first thirteen years after my injury, I voided on my own. I began being encourage to cathe due to recurrent UTIs. It has made me wonder if cathing shrinks the bladder more than voiding because you’re constantly cathing as soon as you get the urge rather than allowing the bladder to hold as much as it possibly can before it just comes out naturally.

I don’t know the precise science behind it, but I do recognize sticking plastic up my urethra isn’t the way evolution intended.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    suprapubic cured my problems.

the Easy Button. 1,000mL leg bag set me free!
    Phil, you have your suprepubic catheter attached to a leg bag? I suppose it’s not that impossible if you cover up well.

One question that I have for you all, is have you had your prostate checked. Increased frequency in able bodied men is quite common when there are prostate problems. I woud encourage you to ask the question to your physician, at the least. In my opinion, no one tells you about the changes that come with aging -spinal cord injury or not. And for your group, remember, many individuals did not survive to older age in the past. So you are some of the first to experience these issues. One last word of wisdom, spinal cord injury does not negate other issues for the most part. You get a double whammy!

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'm 8 plus years with SCI and have been on Vesicare the entire time. Also Botox treatments 6 or 7 times, averaging about 7 months apart. They've always worked, though the last time the improvement didn't seem quite as dramatic is earlier treatments. About 5 months ago I got some Myrbetriq samples to experiment using that instead of Vesicare and also using that in conjunction with Vesicare. That's what I've stuck with. It's expensive, using both drugs, but for me it's been working quite well. I can hold 400 milliliters or so without any leakage. Probably could hold more but by then I'm sweating and there's no point in pushing it. Using both drugs, I'm now 9 months since my last Botox treatment in still doing OK.

I tried Vesicare but then went to on Tovaz now for over 5 years and it has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    I tried Vesicare but then went to on Tovaz now for over 5 years and it has worked for me.
    how much toviaz are you taking im on 8mg a day
    Last edited by wheelin 48; 08-07-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Here is another consideration: Until my SCI both kidneys were health. Within 3-5 years one kidney suffered from stones. I was told, and this is SOP, that nothing needed to be done unless the stone impaired function. By the time the tests perceived impaired function the kidney was suffering severe hydronephrosis. It was cleared via lithotripsy but the kidney did not recover and continues to collect sand. It barely functions.

1.5 years ago I began visiting an acupuncturist. In the course of monthly care she suggested an herbal remedy from TCM(Traditional Chinese Medicine) that might help dissolve stones. Ha- it is called Dissolve! I asked my go-to person for supplements, who is also a practitioner of some TCM practices if she thought it was safe, and then went ahead and tried it. Much to my surprise, within a few months I was feeling more energy, passing more sand, and suffering less urgency. My guess is that the stone/sand stuck in the kidney was harboring bacteria that escaped all effort to kill it when I'd been treated for UTIs, which recurred and recurred. It is also true that about half of the herbs used in the formula are the same as ones used to fight UTIs.

I am still using that product much of the time, as well as doing exercises on the floor that seem to stimulate the kidneys and bladder to eliminate lots of sand. it comes out for about 4 hours after the exercise session.

At this point I marvel that urgency is only a problem when I'm hungry. The rest of the time I am able to wait much longer between trips to the toilet.

All that just to point out that kidney stones, sand or mucous clogs can also increase urgency.