Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dog proof trash can?

dog proof trash can?

Has anyone used a reasonably dog proof trash can that can be opened from a wheelchair? A lot of the ones I have seen use a footpedal or seem hard to use.

Inside or outside?

Get small mouse traps. Put one in the can. Put some on the floor around the can, They won't hurt the dog, just scare them. Eventually you can put them about anywhere to keep the dog away. They don't even have to be set once the dog is trained. I've had dogs that all I had to do was put a couple in the doorway and the dog wouldn't come in the kitchen, untill we moved the traps.

Get small mouse traps. Put one in the can. Put some on the floor around the can, They won't hurt the dog, just scare them. Eventually you can put them about anywhere to keep the dog away. They don't even have to be set once the dog is trained. I've had dogs that all I had to do was put a couple in the doorway and the dog wouldn't come in the kitchen, untill we moved the traps.

we use a trash can with the swing top. I have two Golden Retrievers that are 8 months old and are very mischievous. They don't seem to like the door. Also, we do try and train them to "leave it" so when they do explore around the can we correct them.
    one could also try spraying bitter Apple on the door so when they explore the can and lick they will get the bitter apple and not go any further.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad

going to buy some today :D funny this was on here I have a 11 month old beagle that all he does wrong is go in the trash, very good dog only problem is this.

We have always used the cans with the swinging flap on the top which has worked for us. I have also seen one with An electronic sensor to open the lid on the Bed Bath n Beyond website but didn't want to spend that much for a trash can.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Like an isolated PeeCee it should be secure in a locked room. Put cabin hook on pantry door to keep nosy chihuahua out.

No need to be cruel just prevent access. If I leave pantry door unlocked chihuahua has lots of smelly things to play with.

In AU we have big DIN bins outside which small dogs can't tip over. Also illegal let dogs wander at large and in packs. Must be on lead.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to find one, too. Tried a stainless steel tube style with a heavy hinged lid, opened with foot pedal (I hit it with my caster), but both my full size poodles have figured it out. They smack the foot lever with just enough force to get the lid up a bit then shove their snout under, real quick, before it drops. They worked out the back door handle, too. A call them my God Damninals.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Is the issue the dog being loose in the house when no one is home? Or getting into the trash when people are home? If its the latter, I would handle it as a training issue. If its the former, then a bit more difficult.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.