Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork housing bearings 'TiLite"

Fork housing bearings 'TiLite"

Hi, asking if anyone has cross reference guide for fork housing bearings???

Chair is 2014 Tilite TR

Thanks

Use rear axle hub bearings for caster steering axle.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hi nonoise
    Do you have a bearing number?
    Thanks

R8-2RS 1/2"x1 1/8"x5/16" inch

If you can replace them without nicking your fork and screwing up your caster swivel, you are a more-skilled person than I.

The fork assembly was corroded in place. I had to beat it out with a hammer. I just replaced the entire fork assembly. I guess one of these days I'll try to get the bearings out of the old fork assembly. But I'm not optimistic. Interesting comment about the swivel. The original fork assembly lasted 4 years before acting up whereas the new one lasted only several months. I just spray PB blaster into the bearings and adjust the nut to restore the swivel. But I was really expecting more life than several months.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    The fork assembly was corroded in place. I had to beat it out with a hammer. I just replaced the entire fork assembly. I guess one of these days I'll try to get the bearings out of the old fork assembly. But I'm not optimistic. Interesting comment about the swivel. The original fork assembly lasted 4 years before acting up whereas the new one lasted only several months. I just spray PB blaster into the bearings and adjust the nut to restore the swivel. But I was really expecting more life than several months.
    The bearings can have a significant amount of corrosion without affecting caster swivel. What I was referring to is nicking the aluminum housing surrounding the bearing where it faces the dust cap. One small nick, and a smooth swivel may be impossible.

I must have gotten lucky. Because I had to hammer a chisel in between the fork and the dust cap to break it loose.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    R8-2RS 1/2"x1 1/8"x5/16" inch

If you can replace them without nicking your fork and screwing up your caster swivel, you are a more-skilled person than I.
    Hi, this is great! Thanks so much for the bearing #

Hi August

I've replaced bearings on many a fork assembly but never on a Tilite! I'm curious as to what the alan key set screw on back side is all about? Also, any info/advice for this job much appreciated

Blog Entries
    Does a purpose built bearing puller make the job easier?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    The bearings can have a significant amount of corrosion without affecting caster swivel. What I was referring to is nicking the aluminum housing surrounding the bearing where it faces the dust cap. One small nick, and a smooth swivel may be impossible.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments