Thread: How do you research, or your go to resources for prospective medical professionasl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

How do you research, or your go to resources for prospective medical professionasl

I'm looking at prospective neurosurgeons in my area.

Just wondering what other folks have found to be useful resources for researching their prospective medical professionals?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I'm looking at prospective neurosurgeons in my area.

Just wondering what other folks have found to be useful resources for researching their prospective medical professionals?

Thanks
    Why are you seeking a neurosurgeon? If it's to have a specific surgery you might consider doing a Google Scholar search for that surgery and see who's prominent. Reach out to those individuals and see who they'd recommend in your area. For the sake of this reply, I'm assuming that your need is somewhat narrow, in which case you're always better off finding a doctor who's affiliated with a university teaching hospital as they're the ones most likely to be current with the literature and attending conferences.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    I've met with a Neurosurgeon, who I was referred to by my current spine doctor.
    Planning to have the metal rods taken out of my back.

Just struck me, I wanted to do more research on the surgeon, wondered where folks looked when they were trying to research medical professionals. Done the usual google searching etc. but which sites do people trust or at least pay more attention to etc.

First time I've really had to think about any medical folks as I've just used the currents ones consistently for the past 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Why are you seeking a neurosurgeon? If it's to have a specific surgery you might consider doing a Google Scholar search for that surgery and see who's prominent. Reach out to those individuals and see who they'd recommend in your area. For the sake of this reply, I'm assuming that your need is somewhat narrow, in which case you're always better off finding a doctor who's affiliated with a university teaching hospital as they're the ones most likely to be current with the literature and attending conferences.

I totally agree with the above. You also need to see if your primary care physician may know of anyone that has used that physician (if realistic). I find that when I am seeing a new physician, that one who takes a few minutes to get to know me and makes me feel comfortable, is another parameter that I use.
    ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.