Thread: Carport remodel planned. Ideas for 1 step (only) platform lift for 7-inch step.

Lightbulb Carport remodel planned. Ideas for 1 step (only) platform lift for 7-inch step.

BACKGROUND: I live in a ranch-style house, so once I'm in the house, everything is on one level. However, there is a 7-inch step up into my kitchen from my carport. I can handle that step right now (L1 burst fracture, so I typically walk using canes), but know that as I age, that step will become more of a challenge, and because of fall risk, I may need to eventually use a wheelchair more.
    PROBLEM: How do I deal with the 7-inch step? I see two possibilities.
    • If affordable - and if the garage entrance height clearance would still meet code - I would like to pour more concrete on the carport floor to raise it to the kitchen level, since I plan to have my driveway replaced when I enclose my carport.
    • If that proves to be too expensive, I'd like to install a simple, short, platform lift to "ride" up the 7 inches into the kitchen.

Any ideas about sources or plans for a single-step lift?
    Last edited by Keepin' On; 07-30-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    L1 burst fracture, ASIA B L3 incomplete...
    Describes me but does not define me.

A ramp is always preferred as a mechanical device can fail at any time. And that always seems to happen at the worst time. Lifts are also expensive, and need to be maintained.

I use a wooden skid. It gets me up half way. So two small steps instead of one big one. Years ago I made a lift like an old time car lift to get up two steps. It went up and forward at to same time, starting even with the floor. I powered it with an air cylinder. That way if the power went out I had the air in the compressor tank to run it.

Thanks for your responses. I didn't get back to read your posts because my neighborhood had a power outage due to lines down, followed by some days of internet outage. Combined with your tips, I think I'll try the skid for now and a ramp later.

not room for a 6' ramp. ADA would be 7'

just got a 6' folding 33lb wheelchair ramp for $200 from https://www.discountramps.com for loading my ZX1 into station wagon. It's handy to have for getting into friends houses also.
    ADA requires 1/12 pitch or one inch rise for a foot of run, so you can see to get up two steps I need a pusher, but to 7" in six feet, cake!
    They have many other ramp solutions online.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Thanks. Another thing to file away in my head.

Floor plan? Pictures?